What's new

Guest Wireless on AC3100 - How to enable when internet via LAN, not WAN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

katana13

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys, I currently have ISP gateway connected to incoming Fiber internet (Telus in Canada) from the Nokia ONT box. The Actiontec gateway then outputs to coaxial network in my house, which is then converted to ethernet and switch - 2 ports, 1 to PVR and 1 to my Asus AC3100 router.

My desktop is right beside the ISP gateway so I used a LAN port as I only want hardwired connection, router is beside TV as it's way more central for wireless. Used to be bridged router right beside the gateway but wireless range was bad in a lot of spots.

To get it all working nicely on same subnet, I used ethernet in living room to LAN port of Asus router, not the WAN port. Assigned Asus IP address outside DHCP range, disabled DHCP server on the Asus, works fine for my wireless clients and network shares on my desktop work fine with those. However, I setup guest wireless which is isolated from the LAN by design for my tenants - they have no internet as no connection from WAN (on asus admin page, says no internet connection).

How do I fix or configure it best to allow internet to my tenants without opening up their access to my other devices? I already have windows logins on my laptops and not concerned about the tenants even having basic networking knowledge but don't want to leave things open by turning off guest wireless... I'm ok following guides but I guess I'm not much of a networking details knowledgeable.

I managed to assign a static IP from the actiontec and setup automatic IP on the Asus. Changed it to WAP mode instead of router, works fine now to provide guest wireless. Is there a better setup though? Leery of letting the Actiontec handle everything when I had the Asus do all of that before in wired bridge mode when they were physically beside each other. Seems like a waste of the AC3100 to be relegated to only WAP mode.

Hi guys, I currently have ISP gateway connected to incoming Fiber internet (Telus in Canada) from the Nokia ONT box. The Actiontec gateway then outputs to coaxial network in my house, which is then converted to ethernet and switch - 2 ports, 1 to PVR and 1 to my Asus AC3100 router.

My desktop is right beside the ISP gateway so I used a LAN port as I only want hardwired connection, router is beside TV as it's way more central for wireless. Used to be bridged router right beside the gateway but wireless range was bad in a lot of spots.

To get it all working nicely on same subnet, I used ethernet in living room to LAN port of Asus router, not the WAN port. Assigned Asus IP address outside DHCP range, disabled DHCP server on the Asus, works fine for my wireless clients and network shares on my desktop work fine with those. However, I setup guest wireless which is isolated from the LAN by design for my tenants - they have no internet as no connection from WAN (on asus admin page, says no internet connection).

How do I fix or configure it best to allow internet to my tenants without opening up their access to my other devices? I already have windows logins on my laptops and not concerned about the tenants even having basic networking knowledge but don't want to leave things open by turning off guest wireless... I'm ok following guides but I guess I'm not much of a networking details knowledgeable.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!