What's new

GUI in Windows for switching between different commercial VPN servers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RFT354

Occasional Visitor
Does Asus stock or Merlin have a GUI in Windows for switching between different VPN servers, or is this something the VPN providers have to offer? It’s easy to switch when VPN is in Windows, but how is it when the VPN is in the router?

Can't speak for OEM firmware (that can vary a lot in terms of what modifications they permit), but most third-party firmware will have a customization field, where you can specify additional servers (i.e., remote directives) the OpenVPN client should consider when searching for an available server. IOW, if configured properly, OpenVPN will automatically do the searching, w/o any intervention by you.

P.S. Here's an example of my own setup using ExpressVPN.
Code:
server-poll-timeout 10
remote-random
remote us-new-york-2-ca-version-2.expressnetw.com 1195
remote usa-atlanta-ca-version-2.expressnetw.com 1195
remote usa-chicago-ca-version-2.expressnetw.com 1195
remote usa-dallas-2-ca-version-2.expressnetw.com 1195
remote usa-dallas-ca-version-2.expressnetw.com 1195
remote usa-denver-ca-version-2.expressnetw.com 1195
remote usa-losangeles-1-ca-version-2.expressnetw.com 1195

The remote-random directive tells OpenVPN to randomly choose among the available servers, and continue until it finds one it can connect to successfully. But I limit how long (10 secs) it should wait for a connection attempt to succeed before moving on to the next one.

P.S. Here's an example of my own setup using ExpressVPN.
Code:
server-poll-timeout 10
remote-random
remote us-new-york-2-ca-version-2.expressnetw.com 1195
remote usa-atlanta-ca-version-2.expressnetw.com 1195
remote usa-chicago-ca-version-2.expressnetw.com 1195
remote usa-dallas-2-ca-version-2.expressnetw.com 1195
remote usa-dallas-ca-version-2.expressnetw.com 1195
remote usa-denver-ca-version-2.expressnetw.com 1195
remote usa-losangeles-1-ca-version-2.expressnetw.com 1195

The remote-random directive tells OpenVPN to randomly choose among the available servers, and continue until it finds one it can connect to successfully. But I limit how long (10 secs) it should wait for a connection attempt to succeed before moving on to the next one.

I’ve bookmarked your setting, but I was thinking more of a small window in Windows user account where I can choose from a dropdown menu which server I want connect to. It’s a more convenient way of changing between servers in different countries, instead of having to log in to the router and change to a specific server. I doubt it’s possible, but asking anyway.

Thanks.

I didn’t read the whole thread, but this is probably what I mean. Can this be included in the next Merlin version or is it independent from Merlin firmware?
Probably no, as its a addon you can install from amtm which is builtin in RMerlin program.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!