What's new

Guide for QoS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It's usually best to configure QoS with your upload speed set at 70% of your actual max speed. For example, if your upstream is 2 Mbits, set it to 1.7 Mbits in QoS. That will usually result in smoother performance when QoS has to kick in.

Is 1.7 Mbits 70% of 2 Mbits? #math

Is 1.7 Mbits 70% of 2 Mbits? #math

This was probably just a typo - can't tell for sure since you're quoting a four year old message... My advise is usually to set it to around 80-90%, because 70% seem a bit too conservative.

Making sure that credit goes where due, the exhausive tutorial on QoS that was attributed to me above was in fact from Toastman of TomatoUSB fame: http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/qos-tutorial.68795/.

I have never set QoS up on my network...have no need for it...but did play around a bit with it and found this tutorial to be very helpful to understand exactly what QoS was doing. Of course, now I have forgotten it all:(...one of the viscitudes of the aging process.

Making sure that credit goes where due, the exhausive tutorial on QoS that was attributed to me above was in fact from Toastman of TomatoUSB fame: http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/qos-tutorial.68795/.

I have never set QoS up on my network...have no need for it...but did play around a bit with it and found this tutorial to be very helpful to understand exactly what QoS was doing. Of course, now I have forgotten it all:(...one of the viscitudes of the aging process.

Not to resurrect this old topic, but i was bored to so read up on this and QOS and came away even more confuse then i was before. limiting bandwidth just cant be simple IE have 200/35 speeds, by only allowing wired those speeds and make all wifi limited to 15/15 but after reading this me limiting my wifi to 15/15 is probably why my routers cpu is seeing so much usage like 75/90% for just limited clients when just one of those clients are sending at those speeds.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!