What's new

Happy with my upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Peter_M

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

while I don't deny that Corporations are in a run to make us buy new products on a constant basis, one must also acknowledge some progress. I just moved from a Netgear R7500 v1 to an Asus RT-88ax + 2 intel AX200. Better usb 3, Far better Wifi, better reactivity, Dual Wan (My provider just move from 1 Gbits/s to 2 Gbits/s, it will be useful in my case), Dual ethernet for my NAS and all phones, and laptops which are still in wifi 5 get a better signal. So...

@Peter_M, I agree that progress is real. :)

The only thing we need to do is be able to control ourselves and go back to what we have/had if testing the new devices doesn't pan out as it should. :)

Around this time last year, I was testing the RT-AC86U and found it more than worthy of upgrading my RT-AC3100 based network. I recommended, set up and installed many over the last few months with no concerns from customers.

This year, the price drop of the RT-AX88U allowed me to test what benefits it may bring over the already impressive RT-AC86U. I was so impressed, I bought the company! Er, I mean the router! :D

I too have a few AX capable devices, but the improvements overflow also to the AC devices too.

If our budgets allow us to upgrade and the benefits are there, waiting for 'better' is not a game I want to play. Life's curveballs and more mortal surprises guarantee us nothing, after all. ;)

I just upgraded to a RT-AC86U few months ago from a RT-N66U :rolleyes:, I'm more than satisfied with the overall performance, I just have one AX device right now and the rest AC, so I'm gonna hold on for the price of the upcoming RT-AX86U to drop (yeah, I have a sweet spot for that form factor :D) and then get one, unless I get some extra money burning a hole on my pocket :D

Hi all,

while I don't deny that Corporations are in a run to make us buy new products on a constant basis, one must also acknowledge some progress. I just moved from a Netgear R7500 v1 to an Asus RT-88ax + 2 intel AX200. Better usb 3, Far better Wifi, better reactivity, Dual Wan (My provider just move from 1 Gbits/s to 2 Gbits/s, it will be useful in my case), Dual ethernet for my NAS and all phones, and laptops which are still in wifi 5 get a better signal. So...

You upgraded from one of the worst AC routers, the 7500v1 which had a problematic Quantenna WiFi chipset in the first place and it often performed worse than even the older R7000 or AC68U, if it was a decent AC router like the R7800 or AC86U that you were upgrading from or comparing, it wouldn't be much of an improvement with the new AX routers, then take into account the price premium of the these new units.

With AX at the moment only the 2.4 Ghz band sees a proper boost in performance up to 2x, on 5 Ghz in most realworld cases anywhere from 0-10% boost on some of them and best maybe like 20%. Current AX routers are missing many features of the standard, so you basically have a half hazard transition/beta product.

Last edited:
You upgraded from one of the worst AC routers, the 7500v1 which had a problematic Quantenna WiFi chipset in the first place and it often performed worse than even the older R7000 or AC68U, if it was a decent AC router like the R7800 or AC86U that you were upgrading from or comparing, it wouldn't be much of an improvement with the new AX routers, then take into account the price premium of the these new units.

With AX at the moment only the 2.4 Ghz band sees a proper boost in performance up to 2x, on 5 Ghz in most realworld cases anywhere from 0-10% boost on some of them and best maybe like 20%. Current AX routers are missing many features of the standard, so you basically have a half hazard transition/beta product.

I didn't (upgrade from one of the worst routers). Major upgrade. :)

Don't you overreacted a little? I know that my R7500 is no match for the R7800, but so are many others, but nonetheless it was stable, got a usable usb 3 and descent WiFi speed. Back a the time it was a good deal. Now you can try to take an idealized position, but that is a twisted logic allowing one to make a point, it's not really reality.

Don't you overreacted a little? I know that my R7500 is no match for the R7800, but so are many others, but nonetheless it was stable, got a usable usb 3 and descent WiFi speed. Back a the time it was a good deal. Now you can try to take an idealized position, but that is a twisted logic allowing one to make a point, it's not really reality.

I wasn’t over reacting nor sure how there was any implication of it, merely stating my own experiences opinions from using various AX routers.

Since you seemed to imply that WiFi-6 is a massive upgrade vs WiFi-5 (with the current crop of AX routers), I was just saying compared to a decent Wave 2 AC router, you may not have seen as stark of a difference, that’s all. If I seemed condescending/judgemental to you, my apologies, as that was never my intention.

@L&LD, I’m curious which AC unit did you upgrade from?

Last edited:
Since you seemed to imply that WiFi-6 is a massive upgrade vs WiFi-5
@L&LD

Nope! and yes, for the R7500, there was no more security updates, but all other Netgear routers don't get much more of an update right now. So, you're not wrong but it's not day and night.

All what I'm saying is that it is possible to be satisfy with a product that is not perfect which was my case with the R7500 and so I am with my new RT-88ax even if WIFI 6 is not fully implemented (nearly) and if WIFI 6e is coming.

What I really miss is a fast Ethernet connection between my NAS-Router-Admin PC. (5G will already do a good job). The next upgrade will have it. Also I have noted that when I download from a SSD connected to one of the USB 3 port of the router, one of the core hits 99%. It seems to be a hardware limitation. However we know that the 7 nm is around and routers' processor with more IPC per core are at the corner. I will pay attention to that too. WIFI is not everything. Regarding security, I not a big fan of third party and when you look at the menu of the Asus there are many. So not sure I will go back to Asus, but I'm not particularly dissatisfied.

Last edited:
@L&LD, I’m curious which AC unit did you upgrade from?

For the Desktop: My old computer had a AC integrate in the X79-deluxe. I have now a motherboard with an integrate AX200 but since i'm in the same room as the router i tend to use a cable connection. My wife had a USB AC-68 from Asus. she has now an extension board from Gigabyte, based on Intel AX200.