What's new

Hard Drive Hibernate.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

narb77

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
My NAS is a ds1511+. I have set up power options so HDD's Hibernate after 15 minutes of being inactive.
It always seems that even if all my computers and media streamers are turned off, the hard drives still don't seem to Hibernate. Can hear them working whenever I walk past the room with the NAS in it.
Status and LAN lights stay green also, I am fairly sure that the status is ment to change to orange during Hibernate. Can anyone confirm this for me.
I have Download station set up so I know that will keep it all running when it is in use. But even when I Stop all downloads due to reaching my monthly limit too early, It still does not seem to Hibernate.

Would having hard drives never Hibernating or being turned off shorten there lifespan.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

shorten lifespan? Yes, in terms of total RPMs. But frequent (many per day) spin down/spin-up is probably worse due to mechanical stress.

Now power conservation is a different story. You trade cost of replacement drives for reduced power consumption. A weak argument of course, as any go-green topic is. Such as the Solar Electric net to grid for residences: $20K installed for 3KW on the best sunny day. Break-even in the sun-belt is 10+ years. If the power utility will indeed give credits.

We really only use the NAS twice a day. In the morning fo about 2 hours and then at night for about 6. So it should only have to spin up and down twice a day on a normal day. Power saving is our real goal. Any ideas on what i can do to help this.

I would use the scheduled shutdown/startup vs. the HDD hibernate. There may be some device on your network trying to access the NAS that it keeping it awake. To check this, unplug the network connection from the NAS and see if the drives properly shut down.

Normally all PCs and Media streamers are turned off, the only signal it would be getting is from internet connection. I have everything running through a netgear 1gig switch.

I tried pulling the LAN cables out of the back of the NAS last night and it still seemed not to Hibernate. Is the status light ment to change colour when it does.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!