What's new

Hard Drive Share Not Being Created For Samba Share

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Neil Horowitz

Occasional Visitor
I have a recently acquired Asus RT-AC66U B1 router which seemed fine with the official Asus firmware installed. When using this same router with Merlin RT-AC68U firmware as instructed, it will not create a network share for a hard drive connected to either of its USB ports. I have enabled USB Application - Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk, but no shared drive appears on my LAN. I have tried this with and without the Allow guest login option enabled. If I see the router on my network, Windows 10 labels it as Network Infrastructure. I have tried several versions of the Merlin firmware, 380.70.0, 384.4_2 and 384.5 Beta1, resetting the router to factory default each time before changing the firmware. They all have this same issue.
Has anyone else encountered this problem and how do I remedy this problem?

Thanks for the quick reply. I have tried all three SMB options, but that made no difference. It appears to be a glitch in Merlin's firmware when used on an Asus RT-AC66 B1 since the Asus firmware doesn't have the problem.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have tried all three SMB options, but that made no difference. It appears to be a glitch in Merlin's firmware when used on an Asus RT-AC66 B1 since the Asus firmware doesn't have the problem.

It's not an issue with my firmware, it's an issue with your network and SMB. The SMBv2 protocol does not support network browsing. And after switching back to SMBv1, you must restart your network clients for them to renegotiate the older SMB protocol version.

Thank you RMerlin, just as you said, setting the router to use SMBv1 and restarting my PC made my shared Samba drive visible while using my RT-AC66U B1. I have been using your firmware for several years on an Asus RT-AC66R using the Samba share with no problems. The RT-AC66R is currently using your 380.70 firmware and is configured to use both SMBv1 + SMBv2.
Since I have the Samba share settings set the same on both routers, what might be causing my problem? The Samba share on the RT-AC66U B1 is only available on my network when set to use only SMBv1, while my RT-AC66R works fine while set to use both SMBv1 + SMBv2. My RT-AC66U B1 is using your 384.4_2 firmware.
Thanks for your help and advice!

Thank you Diamond67, it’s very interesting what Microsoft has done with their Windows networking protocols. I would like to know why network browsing works fine for a Samba share on my RT-AC66R when set for SMB1 + SMB2, but my RT-AC66U B1 must be set to only SMB1 to successfully provide network browsing of its Samba share. Both routers are using the latest versions of Merlin firmware.
Any ideas?

Thank you Diamond67, it’s very interesting what Microsoft has done with their Windows networking protocols. I would like to know why network browsing works fine for a Samba share on my RT-AC66R when set for SMB1 + SMB2, but my RT-AC66U B1 must be set to only SMB1 to successfully provide network browsing of its Samba share. Both routers are using the latest versions of Merlin firmware.
Any ideas?
I have a similar situation/question on my Windows 10 (ver 1803) and RT-AC68P (384.4_2). Share doesn't work using SMBv1 + SMBv2 but works using SMBv1 only. Not a big deal for me but curious.

My problem has disappeared. I can’t say why for sure, but after the most recent firmware update, 384.5, I again tried SMB1 + SMB2 and I found that my shared USB 3 was visible and accessible in Windows 10 File Explorer! Try upgrading your router’s firmware and see if it makes any difference for you.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!