What's new

Harddisk sleeping too slow for upnp

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lwizard

Regular Contributor
Hi.
I have setted the HDD of my AC68U with latest Merlin to spindown after a while.

The problem is that it takes a lot to spin up and so when I try to play a song through UPNP the renderer give me a time-out error and I have to try again (I send music to my renderer through a controller which is Bubble UPNP for android).
When the HDD is already spinning, no problems...

Can I set a longer timeout in miniUPNP or is a renderer side problem?

Thanks!

what hard drive are you using and it could also be a power/performance setting. I remember WD green drives on their default firmware would get into timeouts and issues even when connected through usb when accessing the drive.

they are 2 WD elements 2,5" one USB3 of 2TB and one USB2 of 1TB
They house a WD green inside so that explains your problem. WD green does the sleeping on its own so dont bother using the OS to set it. There are some utilities you can use to set some parameters for your hard drives and perhaps disabling deep sleep may help.

If the problem isnt the drive itself it is like just not getting enough power to spin up quickly enough. To verify this use a dual USB plug and plug the power end to either your phone charger or PC.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!