What's new

Have an Asus RT-1900P - would like to purchase another router for AIMesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

IsaacFL

Regular Contributor
As the subject says, I have an existing Asus RT-1900P that I am currently using in AP mode only.

I have poor Wi-Fi coverage in one area and would like to buy another Asus and use AiMesh to extend it using the Wi-Fi backchannel as there is no way for me to extend the wired network to where I need it.

The Asus website says Aimesh in AP mode is supported but no detail.

Which reasonably priced Asus model would be the best to purchase for this that would work with my RT-1900P?

RT-AC68U/W/R/P or RT-AC66U_B1
or any cheap repeater only with no need for Aimesh.
You could take a much better RT-AC86U as main-router and use your 68U as Aimesh-node (for most the probably way to go).
What is a reasonably price for you?

I was at the local micro center yesterday and the RT-AC86 is about $50 more than the 68U. So trying to decide between the 2.

I was wondering how well the AiMesh RF back channel worked speedwise and if the more powerful AC686 gave any advantage over the 68.

As the subject says, I have an existing Asus RT-1900P that I am currently using in AP mode only.

I have poor Wi-Fi coverage in one area and would like to buy another Asus and use AiMesh to extend it using the Wi-Fi backchannel as there is no way for me to extend the wired network to where I need it.

The Asus website says Aimesh in AP mode is supported but no detail.

Which reasonably priced Asus model would be the best to purchase for this that would work with my RT-1900P?
When you say there is no way to extend the wired network, do you mean you've considered the following relatively low cost solutions in that statement (especially if you've got another AP already)?
  1. Pulling another ethernet cable (cost of cable and a couple outlets)
  2. Using MOCA adapters on existing COAX (about $25 a pair)
  3. Using power line adapters ($50-$100)
  4. Other technologies?
Do you have another router you could use as an AP?

Do you need just basic connectivity in the "dead zone" or is there a more demanding use case? There are a lot of factors in play on these decisions, especially when it appears you're being very cost conscious (and I am NOT intending to be critical of that in ANY way).

What I am trying to get connected is a Ring Doorbell which is at the front of the house, and also an Apple TV in a detached guest house, also at the front of the house. There is also an Apple TV at the back of the house and Ecobee Thermostats and some WeMo switches scattered about.

Before I got the doorbell, everything worked pretty well with the single Asus RT1900P, but the doorbell is just out of reach, unless I move the Asus to the front of the house, which then impacts the back of the house. So 2 of the Asus's should give the coverage.

I have a Cisco WAP371 that I am currently using as the additional AP with powerline adapters but the problem is that these types of AP's just don't penetrate walls so it is useless for the Ring Doorbell. So I moved the Cisco to the back of the house and moved the Asus to the front and that has got the Ring Doorbell working but the Apple Tv at the back of the house keeps dropping off the Cisco.

If I could run an ethernet cable, that would be ideal but it is a flat roof, so there is no attic access and on slab so there isn't really a feasible way to run cable.

The pair of powerline adapters are giving me spotty results. It is a newish house so it has ACPI breakers that seem to filter out the powerline signals and the front of the house is on a different circuit from the back so it doesn't work at all up there.

I was thinking to buy some MOCA adapters to connect the Asus and Cisco, but the cheapest pair I have seen are about the same price as buying another AC-68U since I wasn't happy with the Cisco coverage anyway.

I was just wondering if anyone had any actual experience with the Asus setup as an AP in dual AiMesh configuration? My router is a pfSense router setup in the rear of the house.

Wouldnt it be much easier and cheaper to put the Asus router to the middle or back of your house and use a WiFi repeater for front and door bell somewhere in between router and bell?
If you dont need best speed over there it may be a good solution.
And you can create a guest SSID and connect the repeater to it, then the door bell will stay on guest.

As far as I've been told, you can buy these and put a COAX between the two for a 200Mb link. I've got a pair someplace in my parts closet but I"m sure someone here will correct me if this is wrong. My info came from the DBS forums a few years ago when I was helping a neighbor do a similar thing to what you need. We ended up finding the nick in the existing ethernet cable and never used them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AYMGPIO/?tag=snbforums-20

Also, if you've already got a MOCA interface in your home like I do with my FIOS you can get a single MOCA adapter to split out an ethernet link. I picked up an actiontec to match my Quantum modem for less than $25 and that I actually tested and it worked.

What I am trying to get connected is a Ring Doorbell which is at the front of the house, and also an Apple TV in a detached guest house, also at the front of the house. There is also an Apple TV at the back of the house and Ecobee Thermostats and some WeMo switches scattered about.

Before I got the doorbell, everything worked pretty well with the single Asus RT1900P, but the doorbell is just out of reach, unless I move the Asus to the front of the house, which then impacts the back of the house. So 2 of the Asus's should give the coverage.

I have a Cisco WAP371 that I am currently using as the additional AP with powerline adapters but the problem is that these types of AP's just don't penetrate walls so it is useless for the Ring Doorbell. So I moved the Cisco to the back of the house and moved the Asus to the front and that has got the Ring Doorbell working but the Apple Tv at the back of the house keeps dropping off the Cisco.

If I could run an ethernet cable, that would be ideal but it is a flat roof, so there is no attic access and on slab so there isn't really a feasible way to run cable.

The pair of powerline adapters are giving me spotty results. It is a newish house so it has ACPI breakers that seem to filter out the powerline signals and the front of the house is on a different circuit from the back so it doesn't work at all up there.

I was thinking to buy some MOCA adapters to connect the Asus and Cisco, but the cheapest pair I have seen are about the same price as buying another AC-68U since I wasn't happy with the Cisco coverage anyway.

I was just wondering if anyone had any actual experience with the Asus setup as an AP in dual AiMesh configuration? My router is a pfSense router setup in the rear of the house.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!