What's new

have any body heard of this model. Asus RT-AC68A

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Based on Asus's FCC change request, it looks like they also have a RT-AC68U V2 with the 1.4 GHz processor. This upgrade will surely increase USB port thrughput.

Faster CPU also makes a difference when using OpenVPN, or when using an Internet connection faster than 300-350 Mbps and you can't use NAT acceleration.

Faster CPU also makes a difference when using OpenVPN, or when using an Internet connection faster than 300-350 Mbps and you can't use NAT acceleration.

time to bring back the "Turbo button"?! :)

time to bring back the "Turbo button"?! :)

Asus actually tried to, with the RT-AC68U. The button would overclock the router from 800 to 1000 MHz. The feature was dropped during development because it wasn't stable enough, and the button was turned into a LED toggle.

According to Amazon, the Asus RT-AC68A has shipped out to me and should be arriving tomorrow.

Update: Received and can confirm hardware version C1.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Based on Asus's FCC change request, it looks like they also have a RT-AC68U V2 with the 1.4 GHz processor. This upgrade will surely increase USB port thrughput.
https://www.asus.com/Networking/RT-AC1900P/

so how friggin confusing do asus want to make this for us lol

so essentially the P version is exactly the same as the U version but has a 1.4 gig cpu right

so where does this one sit

RT-AC68UF

https://www.asus.com/Networking/RT-AC68UF/

and not to mention the

RT-AC1900

https://www.asus.com/Networking/RT-AC1900/

why have 3 versions of the 1900ac class router at the same time , makes no sense ether commercial wise or customer focus wise

so essentially the P version is exactly the same as the U version but has a 1.4 gig cpu right

Kinda similar to what they did with the RT-AC68U (800 MHz) and RT-AC68P (1 GHz).

Kinda similar to what they did with the RT-AC68U (800 MHz) and RT-AC68P (1 GHz).

so here does the F type fit in and at what spec

and is the change from using the 68 numbering to the rt1900 just to align it with the other asus range numbering system

i just dont see any sense in the logic here with all these dam models in the same class and why is there a need or want when most if they wanted the quicker cpu would move up to the next class

so we have the

rt-ac68u - 800mhz

rt-ac68a - 1ghz

rt-ac68p -1 ghz

rt-ac68f - 1ghz

rt-ac1900 - ?

rt-ac1900p - 1.4 ghz

and wait for it

RT-AC68UF - 1ghz

all the same class with just variations in cpu speeds

edit

have found the info on the F type

CPU1: Broadcom BCM4709A0(1 GHz, 2 cores)
FLA1: 128 MiB (Spansion S34ML01G200TFI00)
RAM1: 256 MiB (ESMT M15F2G16128A-BDB

and the p type

FLA1: 128 MiB (Spansion S34ML01G100TFI00)
RAM1: 256 MiB (ESMT M15F2G16128A-BDB)

and the A type is just the amazon exclusive branded but same as the F and P type

Last edited:
so here does the F type fit in and at what spec

and is the change from using the 68 numbering to the rt1900 just to align it with the other asus range numbering system

i just dont see any sense in the logic here with all these dam models in the same class and why is there a need or want when most if they wanted the quicker cpu would move up to the next class

so we have the

rt-ac68u - 800mhz

rt-ac68a - 1ghz

rt-ac68p -1 ghz

rt-ac68f - 1ghz

rt-ac1900 - ?

rt-ac1900p - 1.4 ghz

and wait for it

RT-AC68UF - 1ghz

all the same class with just variations in cpu speeds

edit

have found the info on the F type

FLA1: 128 MiB (Spansion S34ML01G200TFI00)
RAM1: 256 MiB (ESMT M15F2G16128A-BDB

and the p type

FLA1: 128 MiB (Spansion S34ML01G100TFI00)
RAM1: 256 MiB (ESMT M15F2G16128A-BDB)

and the A type is just the amazon exclusive branded but same as the F and P type

Well according to this review 68a still have the 800mhz Cpu and not the 1ghz.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CVOLM5Y/?tag=snbforums-20

You want to make things more confusing? I got this HW revision here that never made it to store shelves (that I know of).

And if you dig through the list of build targets, there's the RT-AC69U, which I have yet to see in the wild. And the RT-AC66U V2, which is based on RT-AC68U hardware...

Only thing I could think is, they are re-aligning models that are being sold ahead of the FCC deadline in June. Or, they are releasing a large bunch of SKUs aimed at specific retailers.

RMerlin, is it safe to assume that your firmware for the RT-AC68U with the C1 Hardware revision will work with this variant?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

RMerlin, is it safe to assume that your firmware for the RT-AC68U with the C1 Hardware revision will work with this variant?

I have no idea.

I received my RT-AC68A this morning. I can confirm the processor is running at 1.0 GHZ. Also, I have installed Asuswrt-Merlin and it seems to be running fine.

See the firmware version and CPU speed in the snapshot of the system screen. Not sure why the one Amazon review says 800MHZ, unless they are mixing both CPUs.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,035
See the firmware version and CPU speed in the snapshot of the system screen. Not sure why the one Amazon review says 800MHZ, unless they are mixing both CPUs.

So that's the same CPU revision as in my RT-AC68U HW rev C1. Interesting.

This is weird. My ac68a was delivered yesterday. Hook it up, did an auto update, and found out that under USB Applications there's no 3G/4G or Download master, and under FW upgrade there's no manual file selection, only auto update, so no Merlin either. I called ASUS and the guy checked their feature list and said these features aren't available on the 68A, and advised me to get a U. The router immediately goes back to Amazon. But how come you can install Merlin? Was the first auto update (to version 380_2892) that screwed up things for me?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-02 at 10.26.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-02 at 10.26.17 PM.png
    208.9 KB · Views: 855
  • Screen Shot 2016-05-02 at 10.55.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-02 at 10.55.34 PM.png
    170.1 KB · Views: 792
This is weird. My ac68a was delivered yesterday. Hook it up, did an auto update, and found out that under USB Applications there's no 3G/4G or Download master, and under FW upgrade there's no manual file selection, only auto update, so no Merlin either. I called ASUS and the guy checked their feature list and said these features aren't available on the 68A, and advised me to get a U. The router immediately goes back to Amazon. But how come you can install Merlin? Was the first auto update (to version 380_2892) that screwed up things for me?

This is strange. My AC68A was delivered yesterday. I was able to install Merlin firmware with no problem. Today I reinstalled the stock firmware to make sure the unit was working properly as stock. Your firmware is different than mine. See attached picture. I also have more options under USB applications.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 743
This is strange. My AC68A was delivered yesterday. I was able to install Merlin firmware with no problem. Today I reinstalled the stock firmware to make sure the unit was working properly as stock. Your firmware is different than mine. See attached picture. I also have more options under USB applications.

On start I did an auto update to this 2892 version. That may have crippled things. Check your auto update function--but for heaven's sake don't update...

What hardware and software versions are listed on the box or unit? Mine are H/W version C1 and firmware version 3.0.0.4.380_1842

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!