What's new

have any body heard of this model. Asus RT-AC68A

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

On start I did an auto update to this 2892 version. That may have crippled things. Check your auto update function--but for heaven's sake don't update...

Very strange. When I did an auto update check out of the box yesterday it said my firmware was up to date with version 1842. Thanks for the heads up.

Mine is already on its way back to Amazon. There's no way to downgrade back to 1842 anyway.

Too bad I was wondering if you were on the same hardware version. The first review on Amazon said the CPU speed was 800Mhz but mine was showing at 1.0Ghz.

This is strange. My AC68A was delivered yesterday. I was able to install Merlin firmware with no problem. Today I reinstalled the stock firmware to make sure the unit was working properly as stock. Your firmware is different than mine. See attached picture. I also have more options under USB applications.
I have the same options available as mike_in_nyc. When I checked the stock firmware (which is 380_1842) it was up to date. I also have the option to upload a new firmware file.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This is weird. My ac68a was delivered yesterday. Hook it up, did an auto update, and found out that under USB Applications there's no 3G/4G or Download master, and under FW upgrade there's no manual file selection, only auto update, so no Merlin either. I called ASUS and the guy checked their feature list and said these features aren't available on the 68A, and advised me to get a U. The router immediately goes back to Amazon. But how come you can install Merlin? Was the first auto update (to version 380_2892) that screwed up things for me?

Could you enable SSH, and run the following command?

Code:
nvram get rc_support

Post back what it returns. That's the list of features that are enabled in the firmware build.

Code:
nvram get rc_support

Post back what it returns. That's the list of features that are enabled in the firmware build.
don't have the router anymore and don't think there's an option to enable telnet

Edit: well there may be the option. Let me hold back on returning it and report the return to you.

OK so I'm delaying returning the product so you can diagnose it a bit.

First of all the HW ver is c1 and FW ver is 380_2859, so my router is shipped with crippleware already. Makes me feel slightly better that I didn't cripple it unknowingly...

Code:
nvram get rc_support

I enabled SSH. How do I run the command? I'm kind of a noob at this. Thanks.

ok done and here is the returned

Code:
nvram get rc_support

This is the return:

mssid 2.4G 5G update usbX2 switchctrl manual_stb pwrctrl WIFI_LOGO nandflash feedback ipv6 PARENTAL2 dualwan printer email rrsut cloudsync media bwdpi diskutility HTTPS ssh repeater psta wl6 optimize_xbox wifi_tog_btn user_low_rssi sparse bcmfa rog tcode usericon stainfo cloudcheck reboot_schedule

I enabled SSH. How do I run the command? I'm kind of a noob at this. Thanks.

Download a free client like Putty or XShell5. Connect to your router's IP, using the username and password you created for the web interface. You will then get a command prompt, similar to a DOS box. Just copy paste the command and press enter.

ok done and here is the returned

This is the return:

mssid 2.4G 5G update usbX2 switchctrl manual_stb pwrctrl WIFI_LOGO nandflash feedback ipv6 PARENTAL2 dualwan printer email rrsut cloudsync media bwdpi diskutility HTTPS ssh repeater psta wl6 optimize_xbox wifi_tog_btn user_low_rssi sparse bcmfa rog tcode usericon stainfo cloudcheck reboot_schedule

Thanks, but I'm mostly curious about the crippled firmware version.

EDIT: my bad, I got you mixed up with the other user. Hm. At first glance, no "special" option to disable the firmware upgrade process.

Download a free client like Putty or XShell5. Connect to your router's IP, using the username and password you created for the web interface. You will then get a command prompt, similar to a DOS box. Just copy paste the command and press enter.

This is what was returned on my AC68A. Firmware is .1842 which was stock with the router.

mssid 2.4G 5G update usbX2 switchctrl manual_stb pwrctrl WIFI_LOGO nandflash feedback ipv6 PARENTAL2 dualwan pptpd printer modem wimax openvpnd email ssh webdav rrsut cloudsync media appbase timemachine bwdpi diskutility HTTPS vpnc repeater psta wl6 optimize_xbox wifi_tog_btn user_low_rssi sparse bcmfa rog tcode usericon stainfo cloudcheck reboot_schedule

This is what was returned on my AC68A. Firmware is .1842 which was stock with the router.

mssid 2.4G 5G update usbX2 switchctrl manual_stb pwrctrl WIFI_LOGO nandflash feedback ipv6 PARENTAL2 dualwan pptpd printer modem wimax openvpnd email ssh webdav rrsut cloudsync media appbase timemachine bwdpi diskutility HTTPS vpnc repeater psta wl6 optimize_xbox wifi_tog_btn user_low_rssi sparse bcmfa rog tcode usericon stainfo cloudcheck reboot_schedule
That's a whole lot more services running than mine. O fate thou unfair

Oh. I thought you upgraded your firmware to 2859.
The updated fw is 2895. It's all weird. Apparently there are two different FWs being distributed right now (maybe even HW), one fully functional and one crippled, and I'm the only one getting the crippleware...

The updated fw is 2895. It's all weird. Apparently there are two different FWs being distributed right now (maybe even HW), one fully functional and one crippled, and I'm the only one getting the crippleware...

Same for me. I auto updated the firmware through the router, and am now stuck on the crippleware (2895).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!