What's new

Have I bricked my RT-N66U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DanielCoffey

Regular Contributor
[Solved] Have I bricked my RT-N66U?

I have been using my RT-N66U for several years and last night tried to update from 376.47 to 376.48_1 and cannot complete the firmware update. The router is stuck in Recovery mode.

Here are the steps I have tried...

1. 30-30-30 reset. Router puts power into slow blink. WAN and LAN1 lights are steady.
2. Start the Asus Recovery tool. Router is detected and I am prompted to select a firmware. Due to having an issue I have downloaded and selected the current ASUS firmware for now.
3. Click the Update button and I see the power light go steady. About ten seconds later the firmware upload is completed and the second, long System Restore stage begins.
4. The power light is steady. No lights are blinking. The System Restore stage climbs slowly from 0% to 100%.
5. The Restore tool warns that no IP address could be obtained and to check if the power light is blinking in Recovery mode. It isn't - the power light stays steady and the router does not reboot itself.
6. Powering the router off/on returns the router to Recovery mode.

It appears that while I can reliably enter recovery mode and present a firmware to the router, I cannot actually apply that firmware.

The router is out of warranty and I do have a replacement but I would like to get it working rather than recycle it. Is there any "Well, it was broken anyway..." option open to me here?

Last edited:
Download an older firmware and apply to it? See if you can get it up first.

It doesn't accept any firmware now. I have tried 376.47 again as well as the current ASUS firmware. None are applied when the Upload button is clicked.

When i used Recover tool for FW upgrade in first time i as you think about router briked and trurn it off then again turn it on. Power LED is blinking (Inform me about Recover mode) and waiting FW image.

Please try again upload FW , but for now do not do anything until router reboot ( it takes about 30-40 min )

Recover process takes more time ( about 30 - 40 min ) then Upgrade FW from WEB GUI ( 5 min )

You were quite right - the Firmware Recovery tool did take a lot longer than the Web UI.

After giving it a good few extra minutes, the router rebooted and I was able to get back into the Web UI, restore to Merlin 376.48_1 and adjust the settings.

Phew!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!