What's new

having a time getting expected wifi speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Maverick494

New Around Here
So my performance is really not terrible, but I am less than 1/4th my expected wifi connection speed. I have the TPLink T4U AC1200 wifi adapter and the ASUS RT-AC66U. When I connect to the 5GHz I am only getting about 325-390 Mbps. Nothing I do seems to get me anywhere near even the 867 it should have.

I am sitting 1 room (about 15 feet and 1 wall with a door way) away from the router. I still get like 80-100 MBps down / 12 MBps up and 14ms ping when I do a speed test, so its not a huge issue; I am just stubborn and can't understand why I can't get max speeds.

router is on merlin's latest 376.49_4

What worked for me is I put my router in the attic as close to the center of my house as possible. Now I get excellent coverage and speed

So my performance is really not terrible, but I am less than 1/4th my expected wifi connection speed. I have the TPLink T4U AC1200 wifi adapter and the ASUS RT-AC66U. When I connect to the 5GHz I am only getting about 325-390 Mbps. Nothing I do seems to get me anywhere near even the 867 it should have.

That is the normal speed for an USB 802.11ac adapter. Actual throughput will never be anywhere close to the link speed, due to the encryption overhead, packet retransmission, shared nature of wifi, etc...

What Merlin said. Your "expectation" is unrealistic.

Maximum rates are just that - maximum. Throughput might approach maximum rate with the router and client sealed in a lead box.

SpeedTest won't tell you your LAN throughput at all, since it is limited by your Internet connection the test site, and the path from your ISP to the test site.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!