What's new

Having trouble connecting to my ASUS AX3000 with running 388.1 firmware (not necessarily a firmware problem) when router is set to repeater mode.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

elzorroazul777

New Around Here
I am using an ASUS AX3000 set to repeater mode and is connected to another ASUS router, AX55. They both have different subnets, AX3000's IP address is 192.168.100.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 and AX55's IP address is 10.0.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0.
I have internet access when connected to the repeater router (AX3000) but DHCP assigns IP addresses to the parent router's pool. When looking at my WiFi config page on macOS as well as Android, they report that my router IP address is 10.0.0.1, which is the IP of the parent router. I am unable to connect to the web interface of the AX3000 router, which is running ASUSwrt-merlin.

If anyone is able to share with me the correct protocol for setting up two routers in repeater mode, so that I may access the repeater router's web interface, I would be very grateful! I'm using the AX3000 to bring internet access to my Proxmox server in my office. The internet modem is in another room and can't be moved.
Thanks!

They both have different subnets, AX3000's IP address is 192.168.100.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 and AX55's IP address is 10.0.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0.
This is not possible. When configured as a repeater it becomes part of the parent router's subnet. Unless you specified a fixed IP address when you configured repeater mode the repeater itself will get assigned a DHCP address in the 10.0.0.x range. You should be able to see what IP address the repeater has by using the Asus Device Discovery utility or simply looking at the Client List on the parent router.

Please bear with me, I am noob. I set the IP address of parent router first, and then during setup of the 2nd router I chose not to have an IP address automatically assigned and instead chose the option to enter it manually. I was provided a form to manually fill out IP address, subnet, gateway, and two dns IP's. Then it directs me to a menu where I name both 2.4 and 5 GHz SSID's and passwords. Finally, the router seems to reboot and begin displaying the named WiFi SSID's. When I connect to either the 2.4 and/or 5 GHz band my device (laptop macOS) is assigned an IP address to the parent router's subnet, 10.0.0.98 in this instance, and while I am connected to the 2nd router the TCP/IP settings page states the parent router's IP address as the router IP.

I did look at the parent router's client list and there was one device that had no name attached, just the MAC address. I assumed that's the 2nd router but entering the IP address associated with the MAC address did not load the web ui and is unable to connect.

Should I just let the 2nd router go the DHCP route and have an IP address automatically assigned, then check the client list of parent router to determine IP address of 2nd router and access its web ui that way?

Thanks for chiming in!

Should I just let the 2nd router go the DHCP route and have an IP address automatically assigned, then check the client list of parent router to determine IP address of 2nd router and access its web ui that way?
That would be the simplest way.

That would be the simplest way.
Thanks for the help. I was able to get my setup working by ensuring the 2nd router was in the subnet of the first. I had trouble with DHCP assignment, so I went with static, set 1st router as gateway, then added DNS servers. Glad to have it working!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!