What's new

Having trouble with Port Forwarding (RT-AC68U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rh535

Occasional Visitor
I can't seem to get Port Forwarding working at all. I'm sure it has to be operator error on my part.

I am trying to forward 1194 UDP for my Unraid server which is connected by Lan to my network. I set the local ip as my server box. Anytime i run a port check it never goes through. I can't seem to forward any ports.

Any thoughts on how to correct this?

Router: Asus RT-AC68U
Firmware: 3.0.0.4.374.43_2-29L2j9527

Are you sure port 1194 is correct? That is the default port and protocol for the OpenVPN server so there might be a conflict if you're running that.

Are you sure port 1194 is correct? That is the default port and protocol for the OpenVPN server so there might be a conflict if you're running that.
Yes. In fact it is a container for OpenVPN. But I can't seem to forward any ports.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

What does you current port forwarding rule look like?
How are you testing it to determine that it isn't working?
Have you made sure that the OpenVPN on the router is disabled?

What does you current port forwarding rule look like?
How are you testing it to determine that it isn't working?
Have you made sure that the OpenVPN on the router is disabled?

I have attached a screenshot

I've been using various services like Canyouseeme.org and http://ismyportopen.com/

It is off.

Attachments

• pf.png
    pf.png
    371.3 KB · Views: 1,462
That looks like it should work, assuming that there is actually an OpenVPN server up and running on that port.

What about the other forwarded ports, do they work? As a test, try forwarding to something simple like a web interface instead of an application.

That looks like it should work, assuming that there is actually an OpenVPN server up and running on that port.

What about the other forwarded ports, do they work? As a test, try forwarding to something simple like a web interface instead of an application.

They do not work. I'll try the web interface idea when i get back from the office. Thanks for all the help. Should i just factory reset to see if that would fix the issue?

They do not work. I'll try the web interface idea when i get back from the office. Thanks for all the help. Should i just factory reset to see if that would fix the issue?
That's always a good idea when things don't appear to be working as expected. :) Most people try to avoid it because they can't be bothered setting everything up again manually. But it's a good idea.

Make sure your OpenVPN server does use UDP and not TCP.

That's always a good idea when things don't appear to be working as expected. :) Most people try to avoid it because they can't be bothered setting everything up again manually. But it's a good idea.

I tried resetting and just any port and it still did not work. You can think of a random port - I'll add it then try to see if its unblocked and still blocked. Doesn't matter what options I pick.

I tried resetting and just any port and it still did not work. You can think of a random port - I'll add it then try to see if its unblocked and still blocked. Doesn't matter what options I pick.
Just setting up a port forwarding rule won't show the port as open when you scan it, you have to have something on your LAN responding on that port.

Just setting up a port forwarding rule won't show the port as open when you scan it, you have to have something on your LAN responding on that port.

How is that different than Port Trigger then? How I read that sounds like Port Trigger.

How is that different than Port Trigger then? How I read that sounds like Port Trigger.
Port triggering dynamically forwards an incoming port in response to an application sending traffic out on a specific port.

With port forwarding the incoming traffic is always forwarded to a specific IP address on the LAN. No other action is required.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_triggering

From the Asus web interface:
Port Trigger allows you to temporarily open data ports when LAN devices require unrestricted access to the Internet. There are two methods for opening incoming data ports: port forwarding and port trigger. Port forwarding opens the specified data ports all the time and devices must use static IP addresses. Port trigger only opens the incoming port when a LAN device requests access to the trigger port. Unlike port forwarding, port trigger does not require static IP addresses for LAN devices. Port forwarding allows multiple devices to share a single open port and port trigger only allows one client at a time to access the open port.

I'm still having trouble with Port Forwarding, but I think it is my own doing. I'm trying to setup a VPN for my Unraid server following this guide.

(
) -
How to setup an openvpn server on unRAID for secure remote connections updated guide

Would be setting up a VPN through the router be easier and accomplish the same thing?

I'm just trying to be able to remotely control and change my unraid server on my network.

I'm still having trouble with Port Forwarding, but I think it is my own doing. I'm trying to setup a VPN for my Unraid server following this guide.

(
) -
How to setup an openvpn server on unRAID for secure remote connections updated guide

Would be setting up a VPN through the router be easier and accomplish the same thing?

I'm just trying to be able to remotely control and change my unraid server on my network.
It would be easier to setup the server on the Asus then allow clients to talk to unRAID, yes.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!