What's new

HD issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

routerguy

Occasional Visitor
Hello all,

I am having issues with my N56U router running the latest version of Padavan's custom firmware.

Yesterday, I unplugged my external, ext4 formatted drive that is normally attached to the router and connected it to a computer with an Ubuntu-based Linux version installed (Reason: I need to transfer a huge amount of data, and over USB it is simply much faster than via Network). For some reason, however, the drive got mounted read-only. So I eventually managed to mount it RW, but not for long - the drive ended up unmountable ("mounting exited with non-zero exit status 32"). Fsck also didn't look good ("sdc1 contains a files system with errors").

In my frustration, I eventually plugged the drive back into the router, and to my surprise, I could access all my files without any problems. Then I plugged it into the Linux machine again, only to see it mounted as read-only and fsck tell me that the file system has errors.

I am scared now for several reasons: For one, I'd really like to finish my copy job via USB, which, at this point, I can't. But I am also quite worried because I am using the drive to make important daily backups via the router. Now what, if my computer crashes, and I plug in by backups via USB to do a full recovery, only to be told once again that the file system has errors and the disk can't be mounted? Not good at all.

Generally, I'd already be quite happy about any hints, as for which tree to bark up at. Is this most likely an issue with the router firmware, and/or the kernel it is based on? Or should I rather look into the disk? Other ideas?

Of course, I'd also be happy to learn if anyone with the same setup has experienced similar problems. Thanks!

I also had a similar thing happen to an external drive though I was plugging it into a Windows based machine and it wouldn't recognize it. Plugged it back into the router (n56u) and all was fine. The trick for me and I totally forgot about doing it was clicking the "remove" or "unmount" or whatever it is called in the router GUI before I just unplugged it from the router. After that I plugged it into the computer and it was instantly recognized. I'm not sure if it somehow corrupts it if you just unplug it from the router before "unmounting" it in the GUI, but in my case that was the fix.

I also had a similar thing happen to an external drive though I was plugging it into a Windows based machine and it wouldn't recognize it. Plugged it back into the router (n56u) and all was fine. The trick for me and I totally forgot about doing it was clicking the "remove" or "unmount" or whatever it is called in the router GUI before I just unplugged it from the router. After that I plugged it into the computer and it was instantly recognized. I'm not sure if it somehow corrupts it if you just unplug it from the router before "unmounting" it in the GUI, but in my case that was the fix.
I am aware of that problem, but I am afraid mine is a different one.

Ironically, I HAD the problem you mentioned about a year ago:

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=9390

So in the aftermath, I decided to go with a native linux format (ext4), even though something that's Windows compatible would have been much more convenient for me. I figured that, if I need the data quickly, I could simply plug it into a linux machine and go from there.

But somehow, this is causing issues as well. :(

(And yes, I always dismount before unplugging.)

Just as an update - I "fixed" the HD using fsck, but after un- and remounting the drive, the problems returned. Fsck again, problem returns (repeat).

The N56U still has no problem with the drive, and Paragon ExtFS works fine as well (apart from the general problems this software has). So at this point it seems like it is not an issue with the N56U but rather a problem between the external hard drive and my linux computer.

At the risk of this thread becoming OT (but at least, it is my own):

- The computer is an old ASUS eeePC 701 running Zorin Lite 7.1.
- The drive is a Seagate Expansion Desktop 4TB.

Thinking about it, the only thing I changed since the last time when this setup worked flawlessly is an upgrade to a newer version of Zorin Lite. Is it possible that this might be the culprit, and if so, which part of the software would be causing the issues - the kernel?