What's new

HDTV Antenna and Moca network?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thank again guys. I'll have to ask my landlord to get the information about the coax layout. I bought a Cm-7777HD amp and with the high gain - 30dB setting on it, I could get the missing channels downstairs.. some of them were flaky in reception though. I will try the antenna downstairs and will look into other options as well.

it is possible to saturate the receiver with too much signal strength as well.
A HDHomerun box at the antenna would likely solve your issues if a second antenna does not.
Been here, done this.

Yes. I was not comfortable about running the amp at high level so I switched it back to the low - 17dB setting. I think I'm gonna get a HDHomerun box. I tried the antenna downstairs and the reception was pretty bad because of the lower elevation and the surroundings.

Thanks

The setup that's working well for me also uses MoCA and an OTA antenna that's shared among our TV's, but is a little different. I have an OTA antenna upstairs, at about attic height. That's connected to a Tablo 4-tuner DVR. Got the Tablo as a refurb from the Tablo web site. The MoCA is used to connect the remote nodes of the eero mesh system that I have to the "gateway" node. So I can use the OTA antenna signals anywhere in my house using my home network. And the eero mesh is very fast and reliable because of the wired-equivalent (MoCA) backhaul. We have two TV's downstairs that are both using the Tablo as well, via the LAN.

Been working this way for several months, I'm very happy with the results. Like the Tablo DVR...there is a subscription fee for it, but that's only about $50/year. Before I got the Tablo, I did try an OTA antenna downstairs, but that didn't work nearly as well as the OTA antenna upstairs (of course).

Thought about using an HDhomerun, but that pretty much requires a NAS box for sharing recordings that I didn't want to buy, since you can't hang a disk on the HDhomerun. Since I have a disk on the Tablo, and the Tablo is a shared resource via the home network, I don't need a NAS box for it. Also, the software that's available to use with the HDhomerun is just terrible, The "Live Channels" app is a little better than the HD app interface, but the DVR part of Live Channels is very primitive. I really wanted to avoid that as well. I find the Tablo software, including the DVR interface, much more to my liking.

Last edited:
Hi again,

I moved to a new place and tried the MoCA adapters but coax light won't come up. At this place, I only have one coax port per room and I've internet service only. Rest of the connections are the same as I mentioned in my earlier post. I don't have MoCA support on my DOCSIS 3.1 Modem or Synology RT2600ac router.
I'm gonna get additional MoCA filters. But don't know why I can't get the Coax light up.

Thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!