What's new

Help: Asus RT-N66U USB Drive Problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AsusUsurper

New Around Here
Hoping that someone can help with this.

When router was new, I installed a 64GB USB stick in the RT-N66U to act as a network share and it's worked flawlessly since day one (several years now) Tried to upload some files to the network share today and it's not there. RT-N66U router config page shows no USB attached. Checked all settings, rebooted serveral times, turned sharing on/off (with save and reboot after changing each setting), re-installed latest firmware, tried other USB drives/sticks - nothing shows up. Target USB devices all work fine and are readable/writable when directly atached to Windows PC. Router seems to be working fine in all other respects. This really has me stumped. Only thing odd that's happened is we had a power outage for about 8 hours a week or so ago. Is there a way to manually force the router to scan for new USB devices? Any other suggestions?

Hoping that someone can help with this.

When router was new, I installed a 64GB USB stick in the RT-N66U to act as a network share and it's worked flawlessly since day one (several years now) Tried to upload some files to the network share today and it's not there. RT-N66U router config page shows no USB attached. Checked all settings, rebooted serveral times, turned sharing on/off (with save and reboot after changing each setting), re-installed latest firmware, tried other USB drives/sticks - nothing shows up. Target USB devices all work fine and are readable/writable when directly atached to Windows PC. Router seems to be working fine in all other respects. This really has me stumped. Only thing odd that's happened is we had a power outage for about 8 hours a week or so ago. Is there a way to manually force the router to scan for new USB devices? Any other suggestions?
Edit: Note that the log shows the usb device connected but the Network Map page shows no USB device connected.

Direct-Access Kingston DataTraveler 200 PMAP PQ: 0 ANSI: 0 CCS
[sda] 62619648 512-byte hardware sectors (32061 MB)
[sda] Write Protect is off
[sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
[sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
[sda] Attached SCSI removable disk
Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0

Post the complete log to pastebin and provide us with a link to it, or attach it as a file.

So here's the latest. Completely reset router and rebuilt configuration from scratch. Tried Various USB sticks which showed up in network map but only as 'unmounted'. Took a new stick, formatted it as EX3 which now shows up in network mpa and shows up on Windows explorer but read-only (i.e. can't copy any files to it). Additionally files I copy directly onto the USB stick don't show up on network drive when viewed through Windows Explorer (so it's not really even 'read only') Windows Properties check of USB shows size as zero Gb

Log (below) shows Samba service stopping then starting ???

Mar 15 18:23:47 kernel: scsi 3:0:0:0: Direct-Access ADATA USB Flash Drive 1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
Mar 15 18:23:47 kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: [sda] 123535360 512-byte hardware sectors (63250 MB)
Mar 15 18:23:47 kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
Mar 15 18:23:47 kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
Mar 15 18:23:47 kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
Mar 15 18:23:47 kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk
Mar 15 18:23:47 kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
Mar 15 18:23:48 usb: USB ext3 fs at /dev/sda mounted on /tmp/mnt/Asus_Share.
Mar 15 18:23:48 rc_service: hotplug 1193:notify_rc restart_nasapps
Mar 15 18:23:48 FTP Server: daemon is stoped
Mar 15 18:23:48 Samba Server: smb daemon is stoped
Mar 15 18:23:48 miniupnpd[1122]: shutting down MiniUPnPd
Mar 15 18:23:48 Samba Server: daemon is started
Mar 15 18:23:48 miniupnpd[1228]: version 1.9 started
Mar 15 18:23:48 miniupnpd[1228]: HTTP listening on port 53198
Mar 15 18:23:48 miniupnpd[1228]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351
Mar 15 18:25:52 rc_service: httpd 366:notify_rc restart_webdav
Mar 15 18:25:52 WEBDAV Server: daemon is stoped
Mar 15 18:25:52 miniupnpd[1228]: shutting down MiniUPnPd
Mar 15 18:25:53 nat: apply nat rules (/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)
Mar 15 18:25:53 miniupnpd[1302]: version 1.9 started
Mar 15 18:25:53 miniupnpd[1302]: HTTP listening on port 50889
Mar 15 18:25:53 miniupnpd[1302]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351

You must create shared folders through the router's GUI.

Untitled.png

You must create shared folders through the router's GUI.

View attachment 32061
Yep. Did all that - would not work as I could not adjust the permissions (effectively greyed out). However, I did discover that if I turned off 'Guest Access' and created a bunch of dummy accounts, I could then set the permissions of those accounts, and the 'root account' (which I could not set before - not that weird since with 'guest access on, there really is no 'root account' - problem is there's now way to set guest permissions), and now it seems to be working (and the disk size now shows as ~60Gb) Need to test if I can turn guess access back on to see if it works).

Last edited:
Yep. Did all that - would not work as I could not adjust the permissions (effectively greyed out). However, I did discover that if I turned off 'Guest Access' and created a bunch of dummy accounts, I could then set the permissions of those accounts, and the 'root account' (which I could not set before - not that weird since with 'guest access on, there really is no 'root account' - problem is there's now way to set guest permissions), and now it seems to be working (and the disk size now shows as ~60Gb) Need to test if I can turn guess access back on to see if it works).
Can confirm. Does not work if I turn on guest access.

Weird as this was all working before.

Can confirm. Does not work if I turn on guest access.

Weird as this was all working before.
By turning the shares on and off (several times) I finally got things almost working by manually mapping to the drives (windows doesn't auto-discover in 'Network'). I have Guest Access turned on but still have to access drive using credentials created when Guest Access is off.