What's new

Help buying a new router please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BloodFX

Regular Contributor
Hi can anyone recommend a router with wifi 3 and aes-ni for vpn, just want a future proof router that supports merlin firmware to, but not sure which routers support aes-ni?

This may interest you:

Last edited:
Yea thanks, so it looks like building a pc router is better value and more powerful, I could do that. :)

I need to connect to VPN servers half way across the globe. VPN performance is very important to me. I converted an old Win 7 PC (see my signature) to a pfSense appliance. I compared VPN speeds with an RT-AC86U and get 4x to 5x better performance with AES-NI enabled. Looking to eventually replace it with a fanless network appliance though for a smaller footprint and less fan noise.

This all depends on how much throughput your desire. You might be able to get away with an RT-AX88U if all you need in the foreseeable future is 200-300 Mb/s of VPN, but beyond than that, I'd just bite the bullet and run an x86-based firewall with separate, discrete wifi (either a Wifi 6 consumer all-in-one in AP mode, or an SMB-grade product if you want something more mature and/or scalable).

For a pre-built x86 solution, I would checkout Netgate's pfsense appliances, specifically the SG-5100 ($699), or for more CPU for way lower cost, build your own appliance with an embedded Qotom/Protectli box off Amazon (Intel i3 or i5 models can be had with an SSD and RAM for ~$300).

For a Wifi 6 solution, I'd do a purpose-built AP, such as the EnGenius EWS377AP, which is a 4x4 radio and one of the best values out there.

Put something like that together, and you'll have a rock-solid network that will absolutely destroy a consumer setup in nearly every way except for lower single-array wifi amplification.

Last edited:
@Jack_K, better performance for what? Not VPN speeds.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!