What's new

Help! Dead AC68U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nfshp253

Regular Contributor
My AC68U just decided to stop working after I modified some VPN settings and restarted. I can't even access it from a computer connected directly to it. I've tried rebooting numerous times and finally resetting it but it doesn't seem to work. The wireless lights are entirely not lighting up either. I don't think the wireless is broadcasting as I can't find the networks on my phone. What can I do?

My AC68U just decided to stop working after I modified some VPN settings and restarted. I can't even access it from a computer connected directly to it. I've tried rebooting numerous times and finally resetting it but it doesn't seem to work. The wireless lights are entirely not lighting up either. I don't think the wireless is broadcasting as I can't find the networks on my phone. What can I do?
Did you do a hard reset(reset button)?

Remove all USB devices from the router.
Reset to factory defaults via the gui.
After the router has rebooted , do a hard reboot (pull the power plug), wait a couple of minutes and then power it up again.

Try this:
Uses your web browser instead of a separate application.

Configure your PC with a static IP of 192.168.1.10

Turn off the router then hold in the reset button while powering the router back on making sure to keep holding in reset button.

When power light starts blinking you can let go of the reset button as the router is now in recovery mode.

Launch web browser to 192.168.1.1

Okay I restored default NVRAM values and replaced the latest ASUS MERLIN firmware but after restarting I can't connect back to 192.168.1.1.

nfshp253,
you are not the only one..... I had a AC66U (at office), a AC88U, and AC87U (both at home) fail on me all in a matter of 5 days.... Same symptom. Went down suddenly and became completely unresponsive. Rebooting will not come back, wireless lights are not lit. Factory reset not working..... Pulled my hair out (lucky I have a full head of hair) for 5 days and changed the complete infrastructure to Ubnt ER-X-SFP and UAP-AC-Pros. Took me a day to reconfigure and all I can say is much more stable than any of the Asus routers, and I had used AC66U/AC68U/AC87U/AC88U (Linksys and netgear before them) with ASUSWRT and RMerlin.....

Asus (and other brands highend consumer stuff ) are getting very expensive compared to the lower-end SMB/Enterprise stuff, which makes replacing the consumer-grade equipment with lower-end enterprise (if one have the skills to configure) equipment very feasible.......

Sorry forgot to update that I've finally got my computer to connect to the router after the 2nd try. I reflashed the firmware and now everything's up and running. I don't think I have many choices outside of ASUS routers because my internet plan requires VLAN tagging for IPTV and VoIP services which the AC68U has presets for.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!