What's new

Help finding a good gigabit router please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lettuce

New Around Here
I'm in the market for a gigabit home router, but I can't find a quality one without having to pay a premium for wireless features along with it.

Being a long-term Netgear WGR-614 Wireless G user, I just don't think it's adequate to host a multi-switch network because the router really degrades in performance and reliability within a year (gone through 4 of them already). Not only that, it seems like the router just wasn't designed to handle a high traffic network with heavy video streaming/downloading and simultaneous connections.

This is what I need:

- Excellent wired Gigabit performance
- Wireless (G would suffice; Do NOT need Wireless-N; Wireless performance does NOT need to be great)
- Must be very high quality and reliable
- Excellent routing/QoS performance a big plus
- I don't need NAS features (already have a home server)

What I do NOT need is excellent wireless performance or fancy wireless features. The only decent routers out there today seem to be Wireless N routers. Seems like you have to buy a router with Wireless N and several features that come with it if you want an all around high quality router. Someone please tell me this isn't the case.

My ideal router would be something like a DIR-655 or WGNR3700, but without so much emphasis on bleeding edge wireless features (Wireless-N, NAS, dual band, etc). Does anybody make what I'm looking for?

Many thanks.

My DIR-655 has been working well for the last few months. Mine has the troublesome 1.32 firmware which has been fine now that I've disabled DNS relay. This router was supposedly VERY solid with the older firmwares so if you get one and it's at say 1.21, STAY at 1.21 and you should have very good results. It's gigabit and the wireless portion is good too.