What's new

help for nuclear reset on my ax88u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Reset the router after you flashed the new FW, @Unetwork. Only if you need to reset. Most of the time not needed. If you have a lot of free time to kill, follow the self invented and promoted guides around. Make sure you wait for few hours between the steps. Make sure you disconnect everything, even your phone from the charger. Call your friends to disconnect theirs too, just in case. Unplug your Tesla, if you have one. Unplug your neighbors Tesla, if they have one. ;)
OK, and I drain my Prius main battery when I reset a router, too. Actually, both of them... :)

Try contributing something instead.

Your continuing negativity is really making your posts quite pitiful and certainly not helpful to those that need help.

Sure, out of context, the methods I've collected from others over the years may seem 'off', but for the people who need them, they are worth the few minutes extra to truly get their router and their networks back to a good/known state.

With your last experience with Asus routers over 6 months ago, and your self admitted lack of successfully setting one up, I think it would be a good idea to leave others with more success to offer newcomers some sound advice instead.

Besides, I thought you had blocked my posts? Do you just show up to just show me up now? :rolleyes:

@L&LD It would be necessary to specify in the procedure to flash the new firmware first before doing the nuclear reset ?
because in your procedure we start directly with the wps flash.
Thanks for your help.

Guys, stay on topic.

I wanted to thank you all because after flashing version 384.19 and doing a factory reset, everything is stable and perfectly functional.
I had to format the JFFS partition because I had a warning message and had to reboot twice to mount the partition... I don't know if this is normal ?
it's really great to have a community like yours !

Last edited:
Hey @RMerlin, did Asus make any jffs changes in AX88U firmware too? What do you see on your side?

Only the RT-AC86U had kernel-level changes in the GPLs used for 384.19. No idea about Asus releases that are newer than those GPLs.

JFFS problem should no longer occur in the next version but nothing from Asus is 100% every time.
you seem worried so I can assure you on every release Merlin will indicate any/all relevant info in the opening post, without fail, going on years now. So, if something about a release needs extra attention, it will be there, in the first post.

in fact, the thing you will notice is just how many people ignore the first post on every release day, year after year. In that case you will worry for humanity.

JFFS problem should no longer occur in the next version but nothing from Asus is 100% every time.
you seem worried so I can assure you on every release Merlin will indicate any/all relevant info in the opening post, without fail, going on years now. So, if something about a release needs extra attention, it will be there, in the first post.

in fact, the thing you will notice is just how many people ignore the first post on every release day, year after year. In that case you will worry for humanity.

Hello, thank you for your feedback. I completely understand, and it is reassuring.
A big thank you to the whole team for this job.
After 1 day of flash, no stability problem with version 384.19.
It is fun !

@L&LD hello, i just did a custom factory reset procedure for my asus ax88u. Can you confirm that the steps are correct or if there are any changes to be made ?
Thanks !

1. First, restart the router.

2. Flash the new Merlin firmware

3. Unplug unnecessary RJ45 cables and turn off the router with the power button.
Press and hold the black "WPS" button while turning the router back on.
Wait about 10 seconds then release the "WPS" button when the power "LED" turns off. Finally turn off the router with the button and turn it on manually.

4. Once restarted, connect to the router with the address:
"Http://192.168.50.1/Advanced_FirmwareUpgrade_Content.asp" then enter a temporary password and reset the settings via the "Restore" tab by checking the box :

5. Once restarted, log in to the router again with the address:
"Http://192.168.50.1/Advanced_FirmwareUpgrade_Content.asp" then enter a temporary password and flash the latest "merlin" firmware again in the tab
"Firmware update"

6. Once restarted, reconnect with the address "192.168.50.1" with the temporary password and launch a final restoration of the settings via the "Restore" tab
with the box checked.

7. On the next restart, fully configure the first configuration wizard with your final settings on the router's web page with the address "http://192.168.50.1"

8. Then, once you get to the main interface below, do not touch anything else and click directly on "format JFFS on next restart" in the "System" tab and press "apply" at the bottom of the page. Then restart the router 3 times within the next 15 minutes, waiting 5-10 minutes between restarts.

9. On the third restart, finish configuring the final settings on the main interface.

Yes, I did see that post already.

If this worked for your router and network is running normally for you, I can't offer anything more.

The only question I have is why did you need to do this 'custom factory reset'?

Were the M&M Config and the Nuclear Reset guides lacking?

@L&LD thank you for your reply. I did a custom procedure because I find that there are steps missing in the Nuclear Reset guides.
Before doing the factory reset it is not marked to update the new firmware ?

The Nuclear Reset guide is in addition (a superset) of the M&M Config guide.

They are meant to be done together. :)

very good, thanks for this information. In my custom procedure above, there is no unnecessary or corrected step ? I'm really looking to make an efficient procedure without unnecessary manipulation.

Sorry, no time to compare the already written guides to yours right now. :)

very well. when you have a moment can you give me a feedback ? it really interests me to know if my procedure is done well.