What's new

help for nuclear reset on my ax88u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This is all you need to do @Unetwork, in case reset is required on your next FW update:
Reset procedures are described in your User Manual, by the manufacturer of the device.

@L&LD hello, i just did a custom factory reset procedure for my asus ax88u. Can you confirm that the steps are correct or if there are any changes to be made ?
Thanks !

1. First, restart the router.

2. Flash the new Merlin firmware

3. Unplug unnecessary RJ45 cables and turn off the router with the power button.
Press and hold the black "WPS" button while turning the router back on.
Wait about 10 seconds then release the "WPS" button when the power "LED" turns off. Finally turn off the router with the button and turn it on manually.

4. Once restarted, connect to the router with the address:
"Http://192.168.50.1/Advanced_FirmwareUpgrade_Content.asp" then enter a temporary password and reset the settings via the "Restore" tab by checking the box :

5. Once restarted, log in to the router again with the address:
"Http://192.168.50.1/Advanced_FirmwareUpgrade_Content.asp" then enter a temporary password and flash the latest "merlin" firmware again in the tab
"Firmware update"

6. Once restarted, reconnect with the address "192.168.50.1" with the temporary password and launch a final restoration of the settings via the "Restore" tab
with the box checked.

7. On the next restart, fully configure the first configuration wizard with your final settings on the router's web page with the address "http://192.168.50.1"

8. Then, once you get to the main interface below, do not touch anything else and click directly on "format JFFS on next restart" in the "System" tab and press "apply" at the bottom of the page. Then restart the router 3 times within the next 15 minutes, waiting 5-10 minutes between restarts.

9. On the third restart, finish configuring the final settings on the main interface.

First, again, if the above steps worked for you to get your router back to a stable, good/known state, I can't offer anything more. However, when viewed as a guide, the specifics such as '192.168.50.1' may lead others that follow this post astray (see recent posts about changing default IP ranges).

Secondly, this is something in-between a normal M&M Config and the Nuclear Reset guide, so specific (to your issue and router example), once again. You either (just) need a proper M&M Config or you need a Nuclear Reset. Doing something in between is just not something that can be consistently useful for anyone.

Thirdly, step 3 is missing to remove all USB devices and Ethernet WAN/LAN cables, and step 9 is wide open to what the 'final settings' will be. These 'final settings' applied can be what is causing any issues that keep 'returning' too.

The issues identified above isn't a knock on your procedure for your router/network setup. It merely highlights what I know to have made a difference on many customer networks though.

@L&LD thank you for your reply. I did a custom procedure because I find that there are steps missing in the Nuclear Reset guides.
Before doing the factory reset it is not marked to update the new firmware ?

There are no steps missing in the Nuclear Reset process. It is meant to primarily clear the router/hardware fully and have the firmware use its expected defaults. Step 5 is where you flash the firmware you want to run (even if you have it flashed already) and then specifically states to " Use the suggestions in the M&M Config, the Sanitize Network and the Control Channel Set up in the links above to further stabilize the settings." afterward.

very good, thanks for this information. In my custom procedure above, there is no unnecessary or corrected step ? I'm really looking to make an efficient procedure without unnecessary manipulation.

You're welcome, but the most efficient processes I have found have already been documented and are being used successfully for an exceptionally long time now. Note these are not (all) my 'discoveries'. These are just a collection of processes I have gathered and converted to orderly steps from these forums that have worked (almost) each time they are needed. Either to get the router back to a good/known state, or, to verify that the issues are truly hardware related.

very well. when you have a moment can you give me a feedback ? it really interests me to know if my procedure is done well.

Use the process that works for you. :)

I am merely sharing what has worked for me in as generalized form as possible, with the fewest steps needed, with the least repetition and time requirements. While giving solid and repeatable results too.

If any other process works to get your network to a good/known state, then these guides aren't for you. These guides I've compiled and use daily are for those stubborn cases when all else fails. Or, when I don't have time to troubleshoot the root cause, I just need a solution, now. (This is what happened yesterday. With a 100-mile drive to the customer's premises, there was no way I would take the 'easy' route and risk having to drive there again because I wanted to save 10 minutes not doing the Nuclear Reset too).

HTH.

You guys are awesome! With my techs the cost of a service call 100 miles away will exceed the price of a GT-AX11000 router. Good job! :)

You guys are awesome! With my techs the cost of a service call 100 miles away will exceed the price of a GT-AX11000 router. Good job! :)

@K-2SO I take note of your faster procedure :

This is the shortest way, works both ways Asus<->Merlin:

- reboot the router to free the memory
- umnount USB drives after it boots up (if any)
- flash the new firmware on top
- let the router boot, don't log-in, watch the LEDs
- power it off, hold the WPS and power it back on
- let the router boot, set it up manually

=> quick question, does the factory reset also remove this box ? I am not sure :

hhyhy.jpg