What's new

Help - GT-AXE16000 Super Slow Ethernet / Internet w/ Xfinity Multi Gig

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gawdric

New Around Here
So I'm totally at a loss. I got the Axe16000 a few days ago but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get better speed. I have xfinity Gigabit X2 w/ 200+ mbps upload. On the router speed test I am getting about 2400 mbps / 250 up. However, when connected via ethernet I am only getting 500mbps (Occasionally have been able to get up to 700ish). WiFi seems slow as well at around 400-600 mbps.

Weirdly enough when I connected my laptop directly into the 10gbe port the speed dropped to about 100mbps. I have tried everything I could find - Installing merlin, disabling AI Protection, bandwith monitor, QoS, etc. I tried turning on Jumbo Frame. Nothing has any effect really.

Also oddly enough, when I plug my macbook pro directly into the modem I get 1100 mbps (using a TrendMicro 5g USB-C ethernet adapter), but that may just be the ethernet adapter.

Anyways, any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. I hate having spent money on the router and multi gig switches to get worse speeds than what I had before. With my old orbi router I regularly got gigabit speeds.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-12 at 4.23.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-12 at 4.23.51 AM.png
    113.6 KB · Views: 110
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-12 at 4.25.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-12 at 4.25.37 AM.png
    105.5 KB · Views: 112
So I'm totally at a loss. I got the Axe16000 a few days ago but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get better speed. I have xfinity Gigabit X2 w/ 200+ mbps upload. On the router speed test I am getting about 2400 mbps / 250 up. However, when connected via ethernet I am only getting 500mbps (Occasionally have been able to get up to 700ish). WiFi seems slow as well at around 400-600 mbps.

Weirdly enough when I connected my laptop directly into the 10gbe port the speed dropped to about 100mbps. I have tried everything I could find - Installing merlin, disabling AI Protection, bandwith monitor, QoS, etc. I tried turning on Jumbo Frame. Nothing has any effect really.

Also oddly enough, when I plug my macbook pro directly into the modem I get 1100 mbps (using a TrendMicro 5g USB-C ethernet adapter), but that may just be the ethernet adapter.

Anyways, any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. I hate having spent money on the router and multi gig switches to get worse speeds than what I had before. With my old orbi router I regularly got gigabit speeds.

What model year is your laptop? Have you tried manually setting the link speed instead of auto negotiation? What kind of cables are you using? Have you hard reset the router?

I have the same router and I'm on a 2/2Gbps plan and achieve full speeds with TrendMicro options enabled. You shouldnt have to enable Jumbo Packets and just don't - more trouble than it's worth. In the routers GUI, what link speed does it show your WAN is negotiated at? What are you using as a WAN port? I'm using one of my 10G ports.

What model year is your laptop? Have you tried manually setting the link speed instead of auto negotiation? What kind of cables are you using? Have you hard reset the router?

I have the same router and I'm on a 2/2Gbps plan and achieve full speeds with TrendMicro options enabled. You shouldnt have to enable Jumbo Packets and just don't - more trouble than it's worth. In the routers GUI, what link speed does it show your WAN is negotiated at? What are you using as a WAN port? I'm using one of my 10G ports.
It’s a 2022 MacBook Pro and I’m using a 5g usb Ethernet adapter from TrendMicro. I’m using a Cat8 cable (same cable that’s connected to my router). I’m using the 2.5g WAN port for internet and have tried both 10gb WAN ports to connect my laptop or desktop (tested on both). I’m kind of a noob at all this so I haven’t tried manually setting link speed nor am I familiar with this process. I turned off AiProtection and QoS which I had seen on other forums. I have tried hard resetting. Thank you.

Have you tired a CAT5E or CAT 6 cable instead of the marketed "CAT 8" ?

either should be adequate.

What do you get on the 1Gbit lan ports ?
Sometimes 10Gbit ethernet port controllers will not match up for 5Gbit or even 2.5Gbit, so there could be a hardware/driver issue. It is a bit of a wild west for compatibility for mixed link rate across different rated/chipset ethernet adapters at the moment.

Did you follow the ASUS setup guide for more than 1 port > 1Gbit link rate ? or setting up the 10 Gbit LAN ports ? THe quickstart guide seems to imply that this has to be done first before any other configuration, so you may have to factory default, reboot, factory default , reboot a couple times to get back to ground zero before setting up the specific WAN and LAN ports.

Last edited:
Well I would attempt to factory reset a few times to clear the nvram and make sure you're back at default settings. Then begin setup from scratch again. Try using one of the 10G ports as a WAN instead of the 2.5G ports. Use a CAT5E or CAT6 cable. I'm not familiar with the MAC OS UI so I can't tell you how to set a manual link speed. But very, very basically in Windows, you would find the network adapter's hardware settings and then under Link Speed, you would change Auto to either 10/100/1000/2.5G/5G/10G. You should be able to verify the link status in the routers GUI.

Ok so I switched the ports and definitely have made some progress. Now getting 1500+ mbps download. Thank you I really appreciate the suggestion(s). I will keep working on it to see what else can be done.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 1.47.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 1.47.40 PM.png
    112.7 KB · Views: 80
Issue is solved. Thank you again.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 5.19.45 PM 1.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 5.19.45 PM 1.png
    111.4 KB · Views: 91
Actually one thing to note that I just noticed: My iMac with a multi gigabit port is getting full speed but other wired devices with gigabit ports are only pulling 500mbps. I would expect it to get the full 940mbps but I will try to troubleshoot.. I will update everyone if I figure it out. There's no obvious reason for it as they are plugged into the same 2.5g switch from tp-link.

Actually one thing to note that I just noticed: My iMac with a multi gigabit port is getting full speed but other wired devices with gigabit ports are only pulling 500mbps. I would expect it to get the full 940mbps but I will try to troubleshoot.. I will update everyone if I figure it out. There's no obvious reason for it as they are plugged into the same 2.5g switch from tp-link.
Is the iMac plugged into the other 10G port? Or is the iMac plugged into the same TP-Link switch that other devices are plugged into? Is the switch plugged into the other 10G port or 2.5G port for uplink?

The 2.5G port on many if not all Asus routers can have negotiation/speed issues in my experience. I've gone through two AX11000 routers with the same problem and helped many people I know with the same problem and the solution was either use a different port, manually set link speed, RMA, or get a different router. Thankfully my AXE16000 doesn't have that problem.

The problem could also be switch related. Just try to isolate the problem one way or the other.

Last edited:

Setup the router with DUAL WAN. Make one of the Ethernet ports a WAN port. Do not use the 10 gig ports they wont work.

I have the same issue. On gigabit x2 from Xfinity and have a S33 modem and Axe16000 router, however I'm getting 700D/6U using the 2.5gb ports on both router and modem.. Using the build in speed test on the asus app..

Do I have to use a 10gb port instead to get 2gb speeds?

I previously had 1200/40 plan and it worked fine until I got this plan. I had to take home a xfi router, will have to return it.. But I haven't ever used it to test if I even get speeds I'm provisioned for.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!