What's new

Help Me Get MoCA working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Diplexor

Thiggins,

Do you think the attached will work to get around my Amp?:confused:

Many thanks

Attachments

• 4300803761_f849850507_o.jpg
    4300803761_f849850507_o.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 542
Coax

Thiggins,

Attached is what my coax connections look like. I am also certain that there are many other 2 way splitters throughout the house but am not sure where. Please help.

Attachments

• Coax.jpg
    Coax.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 442
It looks like you are not expecting a cable signal on the runs where you have the MoCA adapters.

All you need to do is disconnect the two runs going to the MoCA adapters from the 8 way splitter and connect them together using
a female-female adapter. They are readily available in Lowe's, Home Depot, Radio Shack, etc.

Thanks Thiggins.

The problem I see with that is that I will be restricted in using one moca adapter. Is there a way I can set this up so every coax outlet can expect to receive a signal? I eventually want to get more adapters and connect them in every room.

Also, would the splitter not work as a female-female adapter? Would there not be an issue with using 1 Ghz splitters? Would there also not be an issue due to the Amp?

Last edited:
Just replace the 1 GHz splitter(s) with 2 GHz units.

Thanks Thiggins.

I will stop by radio shack on my home and try to replace all of them to see if this helps.

Will let you know.

Thanks for all your help

I'd suggest doing an experiment first before you go whole hog.

.... No luck. Disconnected the amp, put in all new 2ghz splitters and still no luck. When I connect them to each other they work great.... Not sure what to do anymore. Any further recommendations? Thanks for your time.

Splitters vs. power dividers.
Some types don't pass signal from tap #n backwards to the input port.

Terminology is inconsistent among marked products. I've found that I have to try each one.

.... No luck. Disconnected the amp, put in all new 2ghz splitters and still no luck. When I connect them to each other they work great.... Not sure what to do anymore. Any further recommendations? Thanks for your time.
Connect the adapters directly again. Then insert a splitter between the two to check the splitter.

Also check the cable type that is used in your home wiring. If It is RG58, your signal loss may be too high. Should be RG6 for low loss.

Still nothing....

Still nothing.... but I feel I am getting closer....

As I could not find an 8-way 2 Ghz, I replaced it with 3 in-line 4-way 2Ghz splitters. It appears as though Moca is not a huge fan of multiple splitting like that.... I tested the connectivity after the first splitter and it appears to work. I am now looking for a 12-way 2Ghz splitter so I can test that to see if everything works correctly.

??? More devices

So I have gotten it to work but now am having another issue... I am now trying to connect another moca but it does not pick up th coax signal. I have two connected perfectly but when I try to add a third I cannot get it to connect. I moved the second one to the same room where I am trying to connect the third and it works.... Please help.... Ahhhhhh...

So another interesting realization. When I log into the moca devices, I can actually see all three mac addresses but for some reason the third moca does not connect to the coax network. Very interesting....

Could be a defective unit. Did you try swapping the third adapter with the second one, in its proper operating location?

Thiggins,

I did indeed.

The interesting thing is that all units work. I tried connecting every single unit and they all work but when I connect more than 2, the third & fourth cannot get a coax light even though I can detect their MAC.... Very strange.

Could this possibly be caused by my router blocking them? Am not sure what to do... Of course I spent an hour and a half speaking with Customer Support and needless to say they were not able to help me. They told me that a Level 2 tech would be calling me back within 5 minutes... Still waiting 5 hours later..... Could a POE filter help? Would switching to the Actiontech Moca devices help? This is really driving me crazy.

My guess is that you have a marginal signal level issue, most likely caused by losses due to your multiple cascaded splitters.

Post an accurate diagram of what your setup looks like now and where you are connecting the MoCA adapters and we'll see what's up. Include cable length info for long runs, too, please.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!