What's new

Help Me Get MoCA working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tazman00

New Around Here
Good Morning Everyone!!

New poster and making this my first post, so please be patient with me.

I purchased the NetGear MCAB1001 kit for connectivity for my new NetFlix capable Blu Ray player (Sony SDP N460) and got it delivered on Monday. I had to wait until Tuesday to start the setup, but figured I could do that since this should be a pretty straight-forward and out of the box setup.

Well...it wasn't. I followed the instructions and plugged the first box in next to my cable modem (Motorola Surfboard SB5100 or SB5101) and router (Linksys WRT55AG). I plugged the Ethernet cable into the back of the MoCA and into port #2 on the back of the router. Took the coax out of the back of the cable modem and plugged it into the coax in on the back of the MoCA. Took the provided coax and plugged it into the coax out on the MoCA and plugged it into the back of the cable modem. I then plugged the power into the MoCA and the following happened.

1. Power light on
2. Network light on and seeming to blink with "traffic"
3. No Coax connectivity light
4. Modem resets itself and shows a solid Power light and then the Receive light just continuously blinks. No other lights come on.

CRAP!!!

So, I undo the setup and follow the instructions again, making sure that I take the time to read the instructions and read them again. Same thing happens...WTH!!!

So, I called my ISP (Comcast) and work my way through the computer prompts to get a person (surprisingly fast) and tell them my situation. The person I am talking to asks "What is MoCA and what is a NetGear MCAB1001?" Ok, so now I am getting a little peaved as I can't understand how NetGear can put out a product that Comcast, one of the biggest cable providers, knows nothing about what this adapter kit is (which I have found out isn't the case). After fruitlessly sitting on the phone with this gentleman, I cut my losses and decided to call the NetGear support.

I contact NetGear support and work my way through the prompts (unsurprisingly NOT fast) and get someone that can barely speak English. No problem, I am patient and take my time to make sure I ask them to repeat what they are asking me if I do not understand. After telling him my situation and being put on a hold a couple of times, he tells me he is going to escalate this to the next tier. Cool, didn't have to ask for that and I may get somewhere a little faster. Wait on hold and get some eerie silence...then a click...and then disconnected. WTF!!!

So, I call back and work my way through again and get a new "tech" person. Luckily I had a case number and could work my way through a little easier. This person spoke a little better English and we tried feverishly to get this up and running. Could not do so, so she was going to pass me along to the next tier for support. Great...gonna get cutoff again!! This time that didn't happen, as she came back on the line and handed the phone to the next tier...whew!!!

He worked with me and we tried several different things and then he asks me if I have done a hard reset. I told him that I had not to this point, as this product was a "work out of the box" product. So, tried that and voila...the power came on, the network light came on (blinking with traffic) and my cable modem reset, but came back on line. He stated that this hard reset allowed the MoCA to "align itself with the cable signal".

He asked me if there was anything else and I told him no, but that the coax light was not coming on. He asked if I had the other MoCA box setup yet and I told him that I did not. He said that since he had resolved my initial problem to try that first and if it still didn't work to call back in. I thought, OK...that makes sense, since the first device doesn't recognize the signal of another device there probably wouldn't be any coax connectivity.

Well, I went upstairs to install the second device. Plugged it in, by following the instructions. Got a power light, then nothing else. UGH!!! I am pretty good with computers, somewhat decent with networking, and have fun with technology, but this was getting frustrating. Then I realized that I should probably turn on the Blu Ray player that I was plugging this MoCA into. Hey, there's a network light and it blinks every so often...WOOHOO!!! Then I realized that there is no coax connectivity...DAMN IT!!!

So, I fiddled and fiddled some more...but to my frustrations, I could not get the devices to see each other. So, I started searching and that brought brought me to this site!!

Man...the intro and explanation to get to this point is awfully long!!! Sorry, about that, but I am trying to explain as much up front as possible!!

So, I get to the point where I see people talking about Amps, switches, splitters, diplexers, triplexers and so on...and man...I feel like this "out of the box" product is "out of my league"!!!!

Anyways, I look at where my cable comes in to see if I have any of these extra "devices" that are being talked about and attached is the "Full Picture" of what I found!! I have what looks like a couple of splitters and what I think is an Amp...DAMN!!!

So, now to try and explain what this is.

Off to the right of the Full Picture you will see a white splitter with a white coax cable coming out of it (see close up picture attached "Cable drop to Internet_Phone_and Amp". The black coax connecting to the "IN" is the cable drop for my internet and phone line. The white coax connecting to the "OUT" is going to another splitter (explain in a second). The black coax connecting to the "DC-9 TAP" is going to the Amp (explain later as well).

So following the white coax brings me to the next red splitter (see close up picture attached "Internet and Phone Splitter"). Here the white cable from the white "splitter" attaches to the single connection side of the red splitter. The top cable goes to my cable modem and the bottom cable attaches to a gray box (see attached picture "Gray Box").

Now, the black coax coming out of the "DC-9 TAP" connection on the white "splitter" goes to the "RF IN" connection (upper right connection) on the Amp (see attached picture "Amp"). The picture is upside right for the purpose of the forum, but is upside down in my setup (see "Full Picture"). Now, the upper left connection is for Power. The lower left connections is the cable drop coming in and is connected to the DROP AMP OUT1+PWR +7dB connection. The second and third bottom connections (left to right) are connected to the OUT2 +7dB and the OUT3 +7dB connections which go to my various TV connections.

So...after all this...my question to this forum thread:

Is it possible to get these MoCA adapters to work on this setup??? If so, can you please...please...pretty please...HELP ME GET THIS TO WORK!!!

Sorry for the long post...and please let me know if you have any questions...I will be much shorter in my responses from now on!!!

Attachments

• Full Picture.JPG
    Full Picture.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 537
  • Cable drop to Internet_Phone_and Amp.JPG
    Cable drop to Internet_Phone_and Amp.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 619
  • Internet and Phone Splitter.JPG
    Internet and Phone Splitter.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 676
  • Gray Box.JPG
    Gray Box.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 723
  • Amp.JPG
    Amp.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 698
A connection diagram is worth a thousand words. Please figure it out and make one.

MoCA will work both directions through splitters, but not backward through amplifiers.

The coax light comes on only when you have a MoCA connection between adapters.

Diagram

Is there a software tool that you would prefer or just attach it to show the diagram?

Also, should I just show the connection that I am trying to create? i.e. From the cable modem through the splitters/amps and up to the TV upstairs?

Is there a software tool that you would prefer or just attach it to show the diagram?
Nope. Don't care if it's hand drawn as long as it's clear.

Also, should I just show the connection that I am trying to create? i.e. From the cable modem through the splitters/amps and up to the TV upstairs?
Yes. But, again, if you're trying to get MoCA through an amplifier, it's not going to work.

Yes. But, again, if you're trying to get MoCA through an amplifier, it's not going to work.

I guess that is what I am trying to get at...is there a way to get around the amplifier? I am trying to find out with my setup if I can get around it somehow or if I should call Comcast and see if they can help me work around getting the amplifier out of my setup?

A wiring diagram would still be helpful. You can try calling Comcast, but, really, you think they'll help you with something they didn't sell you?

From what I can tell of your setup, they're using a DC-9 tap, which knocks down the signal, then an amplifier to gain it back up again. Seems silly.

I'd put a three or four-way splitter, where the two -way one is, which feeds your set top box and cable modem. Use one rated to 2 GHz, not the 1 GHz one currently used.

The move the cable that goes to the outlet where your second MoCA adapter is located to one of the new splitter outputs.

Cable Diagram

Thiggins...here is my shot at a diagram. Let me know if this helps and what I can do to get that Amplifier out of the picture? If you could give me specifics back on what to take out and what to place where, that would be helpful!!!

Attachments

• Cable Diagram.jpg
    Cable Diagram.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 1,157
Thanks for the diagram. Solution is described in my previous post.

Trying to visualize...

Thiggins...just trying to make sure that I am understanding you correctly. Since it doesn't make sense to lose signal with the DC-9 and then Amp it back up using the amplifier, should I get rid of both of those pieces all together? Then replace that with a 2-way (2Ghz) splitter that has 2 coax ins and 4 coax outs? (see attached diagram)

Let me know if I am visualizing this correctly or if I am mistaken.

Attachments

• Cable Diagram_revised.jpg
    Cable Diagram_revised.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 526
How To Get MoCA working

You could do that, too. But I was trying to make minimal changes to the setup.

Guidance is acceptable

Thiggins...Any guidance that you could offer me would be greatly appreciated!!!

I want to get this up and running and not sure of the best or most appropriate way to do this, so whatever suggestions you could make would not be turned away. So, any pictures or links to equipment that would be necessary to get this working would be helpful.

As for a comment that was made earlier...the setup of wires/splitters/amps that you see in the pictures is what COMCAST has setup. If there is a way to make this look cleaner/better and would allow me to utilize the MoCA setup that I have...I am more than willing to try. If it doesn't...I could always go back to what it was and try something else.

Hoping to go shopping...

Thiggins...any thoughts on what I can do or should do to switch my setup?

I was hoping to go shopping after work today and get whatever items I may need, but I was also hoping to get your insight on what I should get.

Do I need just the one splitter you are talking about and if so, where would it go? If I can/should get rid of the amplifier what should I replace it with? As well, should I head to the Comcast office and see what they can provide me before running to an electronics store and purchasing what I need?

Any insight and a diagram back would be most helpful!!!

Already answered you earlier. You seem to understand the options. Just get a four-output splitter good to 2 GHz (I have no recommendations) and experiment.

Woohoo!!!

Thiggins,
I just wanted to report back that I swapped out my splitters (2 2-ways and 2 3-ways) and I now have internet going through my coax!!!

I stayed up last night and watched a NetFlix movie in HD (Conan the Barbarian) and never had a single problem and the picture was excellent!!

Thanks for taking your time, and patience, working me through it!

Thanks for reporting back. Glad you got it working. I moved this into its own thread so that others can find it more easily.

Same issue

Thiggins,

I seem to have the exact same setup but do not believe that I have an amp. Any suggestions? I also believe that there are quite a few splitters throughout my house but am not sure where. Is there an easy way to find out where the splitters are and if I have an amp?

Thanks

I seem to have the exact same setup but do not believe that I have an amp. Any suggestions? I also believe that there are quite a few splitters throughout my house but am not sure where. Is there an easy way to find out where the splitters are and if I have an amp?
No easy way other than to trace your cabling. Start where the cable comes into your house.

If you have a multi-outlet system with drops in each room, you definitely have splitter(s) somewhere and maybe a distribution amplifier.

Recent construction homes usually have a system with all coax running to a central distribution point where there are splitters / distribution amplifier. Older homes usually have the cabling run the easiest way the installer could do it, and splitters installed as needed at different points.

Direct TV

Oh, I forgot to mention that I also used to have Direct TV but have not had that for a few years now. I am not sure if that is causing any issues.

Thanks

It could, if all the DTV related equipment was not removed. You really need to make a diagram of how your system is put together to find out how to fix it.

Thanks Thiggins.

So your recommendation would be to try and follow the cabling and replace all splitter with 2Ghz ones (older house)? Should this suffice to make this MOCA work?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!