What's new

Help me with my network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OBENZ

Regular Contributor
Hello, i have my current set up and its causing some problems
ISP router connected to powerline through LAN bridged connection with DHCP disabled
POWERLINE 2 is conencted to ASUS router through WAN with DHCP enabled
All the machines hooked through ASUS router LANs work
Powerline 3 is connected to another ROUTER (Belkin) through LAN port which is configured as AP and DHCP is disabled

ISP router has IP of 192.168.0.1
ASUS has 192.168.1 with DHCP pool starting at 192.168.1.2
When i conenct laptop to Belkin router i get a generic IP so no dhcp ip is assigned

i'm at loss here, i reset all the powerlines yet no belkin router doesnt get the ip address from ASUS router and shows IP adress of 192.168.1.1 :/
nothing connected to the Belkin router is visible on ASUS router network

Maybe you can upload a diagram because what you've written doesn't make much (logical) sense. Is the Asus in "router" mode or "AP" mode?

This is where a diagram would help. But from what you've said I'm not surprised the Belkin doesn't get an IP address. It is connected to your powerline network which sits between your ISP router's LAN port and the Asus' WAN port. You said you have turned off DHCP on the ISP router's LAN, so that is why.

This is where a diagram would help. But from what you've said I'm not surprised the Belkin doesn't get an IP address. It is connected to your powerline network which sits between your ISP router's LAN port and the Asus' WAN port. You said you have turned off DHCP on the ISP router's LAN, so that is why.
Yea only did that because I dont wang to end up with 2 networks which is exactly what I seem to have now:( how can I fix?

I'm on mobile so best I could do http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5c17945cab977/setup.doc

Your diagram is incorrect because there is no connection between the Asus' LAN ports and Powerline3. Powerline3 is connected to Powerline1 and Powerline2 (and the Belkin).

I'm assuming that the ISP router, the Asus and the Belkin are physically far apart with no means of connecting any of them by Ethernet cable, hence the use of powerline adaptors? In which case you'd need another powerline adpater (Powerline4) which can be paired with Powerline3 (creating 2 separate powerline networks). If you plug that into the Asus' LAN port it should work.

That's what I cant get my head around. Which machine gives the IP to the powerline? If I set the Asus to give out ips while the ISP modem is only bridging with dhcp disabled, wouldn't that mean that the powerline is getting the ips from the Asus??also the powerline2 is getting the signal to the Asus for it to connect to the internet as all ppoe settings are on the Asus router

or lets do it the other way,
i have what i listed under my set up, how would i go on about it to have all devices listed on the same network?and yes modem is in kitchen, Asus is in the living room and belkin is in the bedroom

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how powerline works. Powerline adaptors don't have IP addresses, they work at the physical and data link level. Think of the powerline adapters as the sockets on an Ethernet switch, and the mains wiring as the inside of the switch connecting all the sockets together.

Staying with the "switch" analogy; like VLANs on a smart switch, rather than have all the adaptors connected to each other you can separate them out into groups. So for example, adaptors 1, 2, 3 and 4 could be "logically" connected to each other while 5 and 6 are connected to each other. You can do this by simply giving a different name to each powerline network (see the manual for your adaptors).

So to achieve what you want (and assuming that the Asus is the only device that connects to your ISP router) then you would need 2 pairs of adaptors as described earlier.

Last edited:
hmmm, as i understand, powerlines are merly means to extend your network using your home power circuit, when you can't have cat cables running its one of the solution to look at. In my case this is exactly why i bought these..Whats really frustrating as before i got the Asus to be the router, i was using the ISP router with ASUS being an A and belkin as the same, only difference is Asus was conencted through its LAN port vs WAN port now and the ISP modem was the dhcp server and wasnt bridged..i could see all my devices so this is why i'm confused..i still think it has something to do with the powerlines being stuck in some network or something..all is working as expected when Asus is only an eccess point and my ISP modem is routing and dhcp server as well

The key difference is that you have changed your router from being the ISP device to being the Asus. That's where your problem is currently.

yup so either change that back or add another powerline?just want to have all my options laid out before investing more or just getting some cat6 cables running around the house

yup so either change that back or add another powerline?just want to have all my options laid out before investing more or just getting some cat6 cables running around the house

That is correct. Like you talked about earlier, your powerline is replacing what you would do with ethernet cables. In your current setup it is like having an ethernet cable from your ISP router to your Asus WAN and another ethernet cable from your ISP router to your Belkin. This creates two networks, with things on the Belkin unable to see anything on the Asus LAN side (including DHCP). If you move the router back to the ISP router then both the Asus and Belkin will be on the same LAN and it will work. The other option, as stated would be another adapter. Here you would connect one of the LAN ports from the Asus to the new adapter and that would talk to the adapter for the Belkin, putting the Belkin router behind (or on the LAN side) of the Asus and thus be on the same network and be able to see everything and have DHCP.

That is correct. Like you talked about earlier, your powerline is replacing what you would do with ethernet cables. In your current setup it is like having an ethernet cable from your ISP router to your Asus WAN and another ethernet cable from your ISP router to your Belkin. This creates two networks, with things on the Belkin unable to see anything on the Asus LAN side (including DHCP). If you move the router back to the ISP router then both the Asus and Belkin will be on the same LAN and it will work. The other option, as stated would be another adapter. Here you would connect one of the LAN ports from the Asus to the new adapter and that would talk to the adapter for the Belkin, putting the Belkin router behind (or on the LAN side) of the Asus and thus be on the same network and be able to see everything and have DHCP.

thanks for your reply but i still dont understand why wouldnt it be like cable from the ISP router to the ASUS router then from the ASUS router to the Belkin router?how does it chose the route?as 3of them are pefectly paired according to the 3 led lights on them but only when connecting to the Belkin Wifi i can see them on the TPLINK app

thanks for your reply but i still dont understand why wouldnt it be like cable from the ISP router to the ASUS router then from the ASUS router to the Belkin router?
It is mostly, as I explained in post #9. If you go back and look at your diagram in post #5 you will see that you have drawn a connection between the Asus' LAN ports and Powerline 3. This is incorrect for your current setup, there is no powerline adaptor plugged into the LAN ports. What you should have drawn was a line from Powerline 2 to Powerline 3. It should now be apparent why this setup doesn't work.

how does it chose the route?as 3of them are pefectly paired according to the 3 led lights on them but only when connecting to the Belkin Wifi i can see them on the TPLINK app
Again, it's exactly the same as an Ethernet switch. Traffic is sent to the correct adaptor based on the destination MAC address.

I guess its the lack of understanding or misunderstanding of how powerlines work that made me draw the diagram as is. TO me, The LAN cable coming from PL 1 to PL2 to Router WAN is then routed to PL3 but i got it all wrong apparentlt :(
So if i buy a new PL, where should it go for it to conenct everything together an dhave 1 network instead of 2?

So if i buy a new PL, where should it go for it to conenct everything together an dhave 1 network instead of 2?
Powerline 4 would connect to one of the LAN ports of the Asus and be paired only with Powerline 3 (which is plugged into the Belkin).

Before you do this
read the manual for your adaptors. Do not just connect it to your existing powerline network because that will create a network loop. Follow the instructions in your manual for creating multiple powerline networks. You want Powerline 1 and 2 on one powerline network, and Powerline 3 and 4 on a different powerline network. So in effect each pair is being used as a point to point link.

So Amazon is sending me another ac86u as my 2 weeks old one has a dead 2.4ghz radio and I get to keep it. In your opinion with my current set up plus the new ac86u how do I go on about it to get the most throughput? Should I hook the ISP modem to the Asus via wan then the Asus to powerline 1 then powerline 2 to Asus 2 LAN then powerline 3 to belkin router ?or another suggestion without buying any new hardware. I guess with both Asus covering the appartment which is not that big I could just WDS the 5ghz and use wifi only for my whole network ?

I guess it would come down to what your requirements are for the physical placement of these devices to give you the WiFi coverage you want. Ideally you'd want to keep the number of WiFi access points to a minimum.

That said, it would be nice to have one of the AC86U's wired directly to your ISP modem/router so that you only need one simple powerline network that connects to your other access point(s). The problem I foresee with this setup is that the powerline network becomes a bottleneck between your LAN and the internet. And also between LAN devices connected to different access points. Do you have any idea what kind of throughput you're getting with your current powerline network? What is your internet's advertised download/upload speed?

You said earlier that your ISP modem/router was located in the kitchen. Presumably this can't be moved to a more central location? If you were to install your new 86U next to it how much WiFi coverage would you get? Would you still need two more access points or could you get away with just one, or none?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!