What's new

HELP: Mesh network through LAN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gaurang Patkar

New Around Here
Hi All,

I have been using pretty dated WiFi equipment but don't really mind, as I have the house wired via LAN. This means I have 3 areas of the house where I have access points all being fed through the same base router. All Wifi networks have the same name to keep things standard.

Here's where I have some problems - when I move from one room to another - my devices (Phone, laptop etc) stay connected to the initial Wifi network it was connected to and there is no handover to the network with the same name where an access point exists - leaving me with a poor 1 bar connection (I have also tried renaming each access point with different names). I constantly find myself switching off the wifi on the devices and then restarting wifi - whereby my device catches the strongest network at the time. If i move again the same problem exists.

Now I have a few ways to tackle this - Go completely mesh - without using the LAN ports, but I still feel that i want to use the LAN ports - and connect each of the 3 "mesh" access points to the base router and enjoy the easy handover from one WiFi zone to another (Without having to switch off and restart wifi on a device).

Are there are good mesh wifi solutions that have a WAN input - with at least 3 - 4 LAN outputs for using my wired setup? (Or am I going to have the same problem if I do that?). Also preferred - being able to separately name the 2.4G channels and 5G channels (I know Google wifi DOES NOT allow that).

These must have the handover when I move through the zones. I apologize if this has been answered - but now am looking to upgrade also to enjoy my new 250 mbps ISP connection. Thanks in advance!

Hi All,

I have been using pretty dated WiFi equipment but don't really mind, as I have the house wired via LAN. This means I have 3 areas of the house where I have access points all being fed through the same base router. All Wifi networks have the same name to keep things standard.

Here's where I have some problems - when I move from one room to another - my devices (Phone, laptop etc) stay connected to the initial Wifi network it was connected to and there is no handover to the network with the same name where an access point exists - leaving me with a poor 1 bar connection (I have also tried renaming each access point with different names). I constantly find myself switching off the wifi on the devices and then restarting wifi - whereby my device catches the strongest network at the time. If i move again the same problem exists.

Now I have a few ways to tackle this - Go completely mesh - without using the LAN ports, but I still feel that i want to use the LAN ports - and connect each of the 3 "mesh" access points to the base router and enjoy the easy handover from one WiFi zone to another (Without having to switch off and restart wifi on a device).

Are there are good mesh wifi solutions that have a WAN input - with at least 3 - 4 LAN outputs for using my wired setup? (Or am I going to have the same problem if I do that?). Also preferred - being able to separately name the 2.4G channels and 5G channels (I know Google wifi DOES NOT allow that).

These must have the handover when I move through the zones. I apologize if this has been answered - but now am looking to upgrade also to enjoy my new 250 mbps ISP connection. Thanks in advance!
نعم تستطيع التوصيل بسلك شبكة بين النود الأساسي والستلايت بمعنى تشتري جهاز mesh WiFi يكون به عدد 2 مخرج lan و واحد مدخل wan من مخارج لان توصل اجهزة الستلايت .
Yes you con by Mesh WiFi but you need it have 1x Wan for internet
2x lan To connect to mesh satlite by cable.
Sorry I can’t writ English will
https://www.netgear.com/orbi/rbk43.aspx

Last edited:
Using it right now with two GT-Ax11000 routers in AiMesh mode. Both routers are hard wired. No issue for passing my wireless devices connections between these two routers. I’m able to use LAN ports of my Node router as well. I’ll be adding the third one hard wired soon for my basement as well.

Using it right now with two GT-Ax11000 routers in AiMesh mode. Both routers are hard wired. No issue for passing my wireless devices connections between these two routers. I’m able to use LAN ports of my Node router as well. I’ll be adding the third one hard wired soon for my basement as well.
With your mesh configuration, can you or one access the USB ports to any of the node-mesh routers? Or are those disabled or inaccessible since lose direct access to the router via its ip address? The only USB ports accessed is on the main/controller router.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!