What's new

Help on Simple VPN Setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sérgio Santos

New Around Here
Hi,

Have an Asus RT-AC87U with PPTP VPN server on place A, 192.168.2.1

Connected to that VPN Server I have an Asus RT-N12e router on place B, 192.168.3.1
VPN Server gave this client the IP 192.168.10.1

I want from my Android tablet at place C (192.168.1.164) to print to a POS printer witch is on place B and works with the port 9100, with the IP 192.168.3.222. The VPN server gave him the IP 192.168.10.2

What do I need to do to make this work? it is doable?

Thanks in advance.

One thing I do NOT like to see is allocating an IP network to the VPN which is different from the network on which it resides. IOW, instead of the VPN handing out IPs in the range 192.168.10.x, it should instead be some subset of 192.168.2.x! It's not that you can't do your way. But by doing so, you unnecessarily increase the complexity since now you have additional routing to consider. PPTP was purposely designed so that once you establish yourself w/ that server, you would have access to the devices behind it on the same network. But if you use a different network, you need to route between them. I suppose it might make sense if it was to restrict VPN clients only to the 192.168.10.x network and otherwise firewall them from the 192.168.2.x network. That's not something I can tell based purely on the configuration. Regardless, this isn't the core problem.

The more immediate problem is that neither the VPN client at 192.168.10.2 nor the VPN server itself have any idea how to reach the 192.168.3.x network. You would need to add that static route to both those networks so any reference to the 192.168.3.x network would be routed to the VPN server, then routed to the VPN client at 192.168.10.1. At that point, it becomes a firewall issue, and whether there are any rules that prevent communications between the VPN client network (192.168.10.x) and the local networks.