What's new

help please. Multiple VPN clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dgs2001

New Around Here
Hi,

noob so please go easy. I have been using tomato but have started to have stability issues and could not get selective routing to work on either an AC68U or an N66U.

I reverted back to stock fw on both and then jumped into the latest Merlin upgrade.

So far I'm impressed, both routers are working and talking to me. I have succesfully imported some .ovpn settings files and have managed to use the policy settings to connect certain devices through vpn clients.

So on to my question - is it possible to have 5 different vpn clients setup, and then use a custom script to check for a tunnel and try the next client if the vpn is not active?

Basically I would like to Client 1 to start with WAN, then if it fails or goes down start client 2, if that fails then go to client 3 etc. No connection would be allowed without a working vpn.

Finally as Client 1 is the preffered at some time every 24 hours I would like to retry Client 1 if we are on a different Client.

Hope that makes sense and also hope somebody can help me achieve this, as I said Im a noob at iptables and routing etc.

Many Thanks in advance
dgs2001

Are all five clients connecting to the same endpoint? If not, I can't understand why you would need this type of functionality?

Hi L&LD

This was an attempt at dealing with vpn servers going down occasionally. The clients will all be different vpn servers withe different hosting companys.

Its probably not needed, but generally speaking I am the only person in my household able to sort these things if the vpn goes down.
What difference does that make? well if the kids are trying to stream geolocked content and the vpn goes down I get a phone call, but if the router automatically switched to the next client then hey presto!

I hope someone can help here, I don't use VPN to connect to anything other than another VPN server I've setup and configured myself. ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!