What's new

Help setting up VLAN on ASUS RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi @Martineau , I would be glad to test your beta script, I've been trying to do all by myself but I think that something is missing.
Thanks in advance!

Hi @Martineau, I would like the opportunity to test your vlan script. I am running merlin 384.15 on my AC3100 behind and esxi host running ipfire FW in a vm and am having problems routing that platform. Please respond to my PM. Thank you.

Hello Martineau, I am currently running vlanswitch.sh_1.0xb.sh, that you shared early last year, can you share the latest version again with me, I have the RT-AC5300 running merlin 384.15. Thanks again.

@Martineau One more request for your script. Have an AC68U I think it works for it just fine.... Firmware Version:384.16
Thanks in advance. Also great job on the Unbound manager.

Last edited:
Would you consider it OK to send someone a copy of Windows or Mac software just because it was done privately.

"I have asked someone to kill Carole Baskin for me, but I made the request via encrypted email, so it is legal." ;)

(Kinda assuming that everyone gets the joke here...)

Hi Martineau. Could you please send me the script?
I am trying to segregate my IoT devices (bulbs, smart switches, home assistant, chromecast, etc) from my computer network (PC, NAS)
* IoT network is a mix WiFi/landline
* IT network is also mixed WiFi/landline
I have a ac66u_b1 (same ac68u HW) with merlinasuswrt 384.14

Now everything is in the same network and working, let's say the 4 LAN ports and 2.4 and 5 WiFi's in the same LAN.

The desired final picture would be:
"IoT network" -> LAN port 1 and 2 + WFIOT24 + WFIOT5
"IT network" -> LAN port 3 and 4 + WF24 +WF5
"IT network" can access "IoT network" but "IoT network" can not access "IT network"

Many thanks
Hi there Jsan, I am trying to do a similar configuration. Have you got anything going? Did you get a copy of this legendary script?

Hi @Martineau

I can't seem to PM you..

Very much like FalconB, I too would to setup a VLAN on my AC86u to segregate my IoT-devices from the rest of my home network. I'll just copy and paste his post with minor edits tailored to my setup.

What I have:
  • RT-AC86U on Merlin 384.17
  • various IoT-devices
  • switch, TP-Link TL-SG105E
What I want to do:
  • Connect all my IoT devices to a wireless AP via the unmanaged switch, to create an IoT-net
  • Connect my the switch to port 4 on my router
  • Isolate the IoT-net from the rest of my private network but still allow:
    • Internet access for IoT-devices
    • Connections initiated from my private network to the IoT-net to make me able to configure the IoT-devices from my computer / mobile devices
      • If this too tricky to achieve, I can certainly live without it. I'll just connect to the IoT-net's wifi and configure from there
    • Let the IoT-net use my router as DNS-server
Here's a crude sketch of my setup/trying to achieve:

The only amtm scripts I have on the router are for YazFi and swapfile. Also, Maverickcdn's custom nat-start script to alleviate the "nf_conntrack: expectation table full" notices.

Might I request a copy of your script please?

I am trying to build a similar setup to yours. Been trying to determine if VLANswitch.sh would help, but don't know yet.
Distribution of this script seems to be very limited now, unfortunately. So I am exploring other options.

Hi @Martineau

I can't seem to PM you..

Very much like FalconB, I too would to setup a VLAN on my AC86u to segregate my IoT-devices from the rest of my home network. I'll just copy and paste his post with minor edits tailored to my setup.

What I have:
  • RT-AC86U on Merlin 384.17
  • various IoT-devices
  • switch, TP-Link TL-SG105E
What I want to do:
  • Connect all my IoT devices to a wireless AP via the unmanaged switch, to create an IoT-net
  • Connect my the switch to port 4 on my router
  • Isolate the IoT-net from the rest of my private network but still allow:
    • Internet access for IoT-devices
    • Connections initiated from my private network to the IoT-net to make me able to configure the IoT-devices from my computer / mobile devices
      • If this too tricky to achieve, I can certainly live without it. I'll just connect to the IoT-net's wifi and configure from there
    • Let the IoT-net use my router as DNS-server
Here's a crude sketch of my setup/trying to achieve:

The only amtm scripts I have on the router are for YazFi and swapfile. Also, Maverickcdn's custom nat-start script to alleviate the "nf_conntrack: expectation table full" notices.

Might I request a copy of your script please?

Hello @Martineau,
I am using a RT-AC68U on Merlin v384.17. I want to setup Port4 with GuestNetwork 1 (wl0.1) for IoT. (Currently setup as VLAN100 on br1. Able to get DHCP, but no Internet access so far.)
Would it be possible to give your script a try for this?
Many Thanks!

I think you guys chased Martineau away. Was expecting to find proper vlan support already built into the GUI when purchasing an Asus router, oh well.

Kindly requesting your script also @Martineau .

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!