What's new

[HELP] Slow web navigation and DNS settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mikii

Regular Contributor
Hi.

I am struggling with very slow web navigation and Merlin's router DNS settings.
I am testing 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1

Basically:
If I only set the WAN DNS Setting on the internet connection TAB, to those value, I get very slow response time and navigation.​
If I also set the LAN DHCP Server - DNS and WINS Server Setting to those values, I get a high speed as expected, but some software like diversion gets bypassed.​

I thought this was a diversion problem at first, but I have now completely un-installed it and the problem persists.

any help would be much appreciated.

Have you rebooted the router?

I would try another DNS provider , like Google or Quad9 to see if that works.

It could be your local Cloudflare server is having issues.

Hi AndreiV,

Yes, I did try to reboot the router with no results.
I could try different dns, but I don't understand why 1.1.1.1 would work well when configured under the LAN DHCP Server?

Last edited:
Hi.

I am struggling with very slow web navigation and Merlin's router DNS settings.
I am testing 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1

Basically:
If I only set the WAN DNS Setting on the internet connection TAB, to those value, I get very slow response time and navigation.​
If I also set the LAN DHCP Server - DNS and WINS Server Setting to those values, I get a high speed as expected, but some software like diversion gets bypassed.​

I thought this was a diversion problem at first, but I have now completely un-installed it and the problem persists.

any help would be much appreciated.

Update: I really do not know how, but after installing Unbound things got back to normal! The router is now configured only with WAN DNS Setting and web navigation is fast as it should be.
I hope this helps others who may have the same problem in the future.

Michele

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!