What's new

Help with basic firewall/router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

backspace

New Around Here
Hi, my wife got sick quite a few years ago and I slowed way down when she went to a nursing home. I want to get things running again. I used to use IPcop. Can you suggest another firewall/router for a basis home system. I installed Linux Mint 20.2 on my computer and have an old WRT54G2 wireless router for my phone and tablet. I know this is not very secure. My computer does not have any ports open as I don't play games or anything. I was wondering if the Microtik RB750GR3 hex router reviewed by thiggins would work as a cheap basic firewall/router. And should I replace the WRT54G2 or can I reuse it with a very long password behind the RB750GR3 router. I am almost 70 but I love learning about Linux, security, and networking. I remember following Phillip and yeoldstonecat years ago before my wife got sick. I took some class in Linux and networking in the early 2000s. I had to stop after the first semester of Cisco Networking. Thank you for listening and any help you can give me.

Welcome to the forums @backspace.

For the wireless router part, I would recommend at least an RT-AC66U_B1 in your situation. Note that the '_B1' is the important part to get something semi-current.

If you want a 2022 current router, then the RT-AX68U or the RT-AX86U is what I would recommend. Even though both sound like 'overkill' for your use, it may just prove to last as long as your WRT54G2 has. :)

And note it has some protection in the form of AiProtection too.

How To: Set Up AiProtection on your ASUS Router - YouTube

HTH

Hi, my wife got sick quite a few years ago and I slowed way down when she went to a nursing home. I want to get things running again. I used to use IPcop. Can you suggest another firewall/router for a basis home system. I installed Linux Mint 20.2 on my computer and have an old WRT54G2 wireless router for my phone and tablet. I know this is not very secure. My computer does not have any ports open as I don't play games or anything. I was wondering if the Microtik RB750GR3 hex router reviewed by thiggins would work as a cheap basic firewall/router. And should I replace the WRT54G2 or can I reuse it with a very long password behind the RB750GR3 router. I am almost 70 but I love learning about Linux, security, and networking. I remember following Phillip and yeoldstonecat years ago before my wife got sick. I took some class in Linux and networking in the early 2000s. I had to stop after the first semester of Cisco Networking. Thank you for listening and any help you can give me.

It's not clear to me what you need, want and for how much. But I'll venture to guess and suggest a homeowner residential solution:

o retire your old/expired equipment even though it still works like it did years ago;

o use your ISP gateway OR bypass/replace it with your own prosumer wireless router and configure it minimally and typically for your needs.

Asus is a favored OEM. They have [too] many models so you need to choose with purpose. I would consider the above mentioned RT-AX86U/S or RT-AX68U or similar (I'd stick with a current AX/WiFi6 model). Other models may suffice, but there is a natural tendency to suggest what feels 'mainstream'.

Asus routers all use the same/similar universal firmware webUI for router admin (webUI demo), enjoy longer than usual firmware fixes/security updates, and offer many features.

My current home network is summarized in my install notes which outline what I'm suggesting and link to supporting information.

Current conditions may have demand up (work from home) and supply down (shortages), so prices are up.

OE

Last edited:
wireless router for my phone and tablet

You don't need anything expensive. I would also get one RT-AC66U B1 router. It's under $100, the firmware is regularly updated and it has lifetime TrendMicro security called AiProtection. The router is very reliable and time-tested piece of hardware. This is all you need.

Good morning, thank you for answering my questions. Sorry to just now come back. My wife was in the hospital. She is OK now.
Boy did I laugh when I read L&LD say "it may just prove to last as long as your WRT54G2 has." I did not have as much time as I would have liked to research your answers but I wanted to answer back and thank you all. I was thinking maybe since I don't have any ax devices to get the RT-AC66U_B1 and use torstein's setup from 'How do you protect your home network from online and local threats?'. Then as I learn more I will get an ax router. And maybe get some other ax devices too.:)
As I like learning would the Microtik RB750GR3 hex router be a good learning tool? It is only $60 and there are videos on youtube and info on the net. And I could always ask questions here. It would be alot of fun and I might later be able to use it in my home network. Any other suggestions would be most welcome. Again, thank you thiggins, L&LD, OzarkEdge, and Tech9. :)

Glad to hear your wife is okay. Hope we can (continue) to help with the networking side. :)

Thank you so much L&LD for mentioning my wife, welcoming me, making me laugh, the help and the offer of continued help. :)
I was wondering if you have any thoughts on the Microtik RB750GR3 hex router as a learning tool?
Please have a good day and stay safe. :)

Anything can be effectively used as a learning tool. It's the one who learns (or wants to) that is important, not the tool itself.

You may want to do more research though for the security side of things with Microtik (I vaguely remember reading about this not too long ago in the forums here).

"Anything can be effectively used as a learning tool. It's the one who learns (or wants to) that is important, not the tool itself."

Amen! Words of wisdom! Yes, if one has the desire, each stepping stone will get you closer to your goal. :) Even at almost 70 years old. lol
I will take your advice and do the research.
Please take care and stay safe. :)

As I like learning would the Microtik RB750GR3 hex router be a good learning tool?

You can learn RouterOS options, but with a single router in your hands there is nothing much to do. What do you want to learn? If you want to keep yourself busy, get this Asus AC66U B1 router and play with Asuswrt-Merlin custom firmware and the custom scripts available for it. Support is here on this forum. When you get bored again, the same router runs FreshTomato custom firmware. A lot of interesting things there too. There is a support forum for FreshTomato. Very few people here can help you with RouterOS on MikroTik.

MikroTik

Good morning Tech9, thank you SO much for your reply.
Just as you said. WOW!!! I just saw the tip of the iceberg of what can be done with Asus routers, Merlin FW, and scripts. And ALL the support on the forum is amazing!!!
I want to finish the CCNA for myself. I still have my Cisco books and TCP/IP Illustrated by Stevens. I was doing good the first half but before the second half my wife started getting sick.
USPS says my Asus AC66U B1 should be here today by 8 pm. Yes, this will keep me busy. :)
Again, thank you so much. Also thanks to thiggins, L&LD, OzarkEdge, and the rest of the forum members. Keep safe! :)