What's new

Help with changing outgoing TTL on Asus WRT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi Master Clinton, can you guide me how to set asus AX53U router pls. im a beginner for this. thx
You need to be using a router that supports custom user scripts, like asuswrt-Merlin. The RT-AX53U does not support Merlin's firmware.

You need to be using a router that supports custom user scripts, like asuswrt-Merlin. The RT-AX53U does not support Merlin's firmware.
Master, which asus model router support, i will go to buy. perhaps is entry level router that not so expensive. Later on, pls guide me how to set ya. thx u master colin

Beware of the Chinese versions of the RT-AX56U which are not compatible with Merlin.

i use AX53U. i able to flash in by using link below. i able to set ttl but not able to set custom firewall rule. Result, my i still can bypass hotspot limit. But is i set it to pc, i able to do so. Anyone can help me about this, set the correct ttl in openwrt. thx

I picked up a ZenWiFi XT8 / RT-AX95Q from FBM and love it. I’m able to tether internet from my Verizon iPhone via USB cable straight to the router. The problem is the hotspot data cap. I hit it quick and internet data speed gets reduced to 600 Kbps for the remainder of my monthly billing cycle.
While doing some googles, I came across this forum which had instructions how to get around this speed cap by changing the routers TTL (time to live) but I just can’t get it to work with my setup.

Lenovo Laptop running Win 10. iPhone / Verizon LTE
ZenWiFi XT8 / RT-AX95Q flashed with Firmware RT-AX95Q_388.2_2_0-gnuton1_puresqubi.w

Asus router settings in Administrator/System/
“Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs"
"Enable SSH", “Lan Only”

Logged into router using WinSCP
Created “Scripts” folder in “jffs” directory.
Created new file “firewall-start” with the following script.

#!/bin/sh
iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
Saved, rebooted the router.
Unfortunately, still no luck, speed bottlenecked to 600 Kbps ☹
Does anyone else use a similar setup? Help would be much appreciated and thank you in advance.

Last edited:
-A POSTROUTING
its fake, dont work... example for dualwan:

create /jffs/scripts/fix.ttl
Code:
#!/bin/sh

## [eth0|eth1|usb0|usb1|ppp0] eth0-WAN_1(Static/DHCP) ; eth1-WAN_2/LAN4(Static/DHCP) ; usb0-USB_1 ; usb1-USB_2 ; ppp0-PPPoE_1 e.t.c
## [64|65|128|129]            64 - Android with BRiDGE ; 65 - Android with NAT ; 128 - WinX with BRiDGE ; 129 - WinX with NAT

WAN=eth1
TTL=64

if [ $WAN = $(nvram get upnp_ifname) ] ; then
   if [ -z "$(iptables -t mangle -L --line -v | grep 'TTL set to '$TTL'' | grep $WAN)" ] ; then
      if [ -z "$(cat /proc/net/ip_tables_targets | grep TTL)" ] ; then
         modprobe xt_HL
      fi
      if [ -z "$(cat /proc/net/ip_tables_matches | grep ttl)" ] ; then
         modprobe xt_hl
      fi
      iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i $WAN -j TTL --ttl-set $TTL
   fi
else
   if [ -n "$(iptables -t mangle -L --line -v | grep 'TTL set to '$TTL'' | grep $WAN)" ] ; then
      iptables -t mangle -D PREROUTING $(iptables -t mangle -L --line -v | grep 'TTL set to '$TTL'' | grep $WAN | cut -d ' ' -f1)
      if [ -z "$(iptables -t mangle -L | grep TTL)" ] ; then
         modprobe -r xt_HL
         modprobe -r xt_hl
      fi
   fi
fi

add line "/jffs/scripts/fix.ttl" in file - jffs/scripts/firewall-start

In both the two previous posts there is no mention of making the resultant script executable (chmod +x). Without doing so, unless you "source" it, no action will be taken.

As @glens mentioned, issue a
Code:
chmod a+rx /jffs/scripts/*

Also, I've been using the TTL trick for a number of years now. This past summer is seems as if Vzw has figured out ways to detect the trick. But, when I combine the TTL trick with a VPN tunnel I get full speeds.

#!/bin/sh
iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
Saved,
Then run: 'chmod a+rx /jffs/scripts/*' to make the script executable.
rebooted the router.
Unfortunately, still no luck, speed bottlenecked to 600 Kbps ☹
Does anyone else use a similar setup? Help would be much appreciated and thank you in advance.
#!/bin/sh
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -j TTL --ttl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j HL --hl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -j HL --hl-set 65

And, either if you dabble in openwrt, and it no longer uses iptables, or, if merlin ends up switching to nftables some day, I figure searches will pick up this already-indexed thread. Try:
nft add rule inet fw4 mangle_forward oifname usb0 ip ttl set 65
where usb0 is the wan interface. I like the autoqos on asus/merlin but I want to try putting openwrt on these and seeing if there's a performance improvement.

What drivers are you going to use? Does OpenWRT have anything for moderately-current Broadcom hardware (SOCs and radios)?

You're right: there is sadly no open source radio support for radios from broadcom. I guess then DD-WRT, however, I expect DD-WRT to also switch to nftables in the future, likewise.