What's new

Help with Home Network Layout Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RBallin

New Around Here
Current Setup:

1. Phone Company Router set in Bridge mode 1st Floor.
2. UDM Pro and 2xUSW-24port PoE switches in office 2nd floor.
3. Multiple Access Points (AP) and Multiple Camera’s (PoE)
4. Two (2) Cat7 cables running from floor 1 to floor 2.
4a. One (1) Cat7 cable runs from Phone Company Router to UDM Pro.
4a. UDM Pro connects to USW-24p-PoE switch.
4b. One (1) Cat7 cable runs back down from USW-PoE switch to a small USW-Flex 5port PoE switch.
(This is for a couple PoE camera’s, an AP, and an appleTV box.)

My Question is this. Can I eliminate the second cable run to/from the office on the second floor with a hardware solution placed in between the phone companies router and the UDM Pro?

Example. Phone Company Router to switch. Switch to UDM Pro. From Switch, cable runs to other USW-Flex switch controlling camera’s, AP, and appleTV.

If this is possible, what is the solution. If this is possible as stated above in my example. I would like to stay within the Ubiquiti brand however, all solutions will be welcomed.

Thanks in advance,
Richard

you would have to move the router to the location on 1st floor to eliminate the use of the one cable.
Why do you want to disuse the cable ?

you would have to move the router to the location on 1st floor to eliminate the use of the one cable.
Why do you want to disuse the cable ?
It is more a cable management issue. As I rent, all cables are ran outside of walls. I currently use plastic cable management guides that have a double sided tape to keep them in place but I wanted to keep the clutter to a minimum. I wasn't sure if there was a hardware solution (Other than) moving the UDM Pro (router) to the first floor (as my networking skills are minimal at best) but thought i'd ask if there was a solution.
Thanks for the response. Looks like i'll be running multiple wires for now. :)

Have a great day!