What's new

Help with Math/Tech

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Heat is always something that comes into play no matter the speed. You could take the apu2 and throw it in a bigger case and keep the benefits of your current setup and just add the additional gear needed to spin up a NAS.

If you only need a couple of devices to have higher speed to the data then size it that way and just use the 1ge for everything else.

I run my system as the router as well since before switching from a gig ISP connection it allowed binding two ports and getting the full bandwidth from them which was another 300-400mbps.

I combined the router, switch, NAS, dvr, and some other appliances into a single box this way and dropped the electrical from 5-6 devices to the single PC.
I have to grab one of those killawatt meters and see what I’m actually using. I bet the switch is my biggest hog.

I have to grab one of those killawatt meters and see what I’m actually using. I bet the switch is my biggest hog.
Or just look at the label.

V*A=W

Though that's not actual use as I have a 45w adapter that only uses 5w on my gateway.

Or just look at the label.

V*A=W

Though that's not actual use as I have a 45w adapter that only uses 5w on my gateway.
I’m a data guy. I manage data science teams. If I can’t measure it, I don’t believe it.

I used Steve Gibson’s DNS benchmark tool to validate the impact of my local DNS cache. It’s why it’s my number one recommendation to anyone wanting to improve their network.

iperf is a cool tool, but it doesn’t measure actual usage metrics.

How are you mitigating latency? What’s your target?

I looked at some 2.5G switches, and the biggest complaint has been heat. My HP Procurve Switch is a brick. But it’s been reliable

The other factor is to keep power usage down. That’s why I use the APU2 instead of a full blown tower.

I prefer business gear, but keeping it updated is far more painful than necessary.

I may not have stated it implicitly, but the latency is what has been mitigated with each hardware upgrade I have done. Sometimes, there was a corresponding increase in raw speeds too, but not always. What I did notice though was the lower latency to anything over my network (LAN or WAN).

No issues with heat (or noise; no fans) on the 2x 5 Port 2.5GbE switches I decided to buy.

QNAP QSW-1105-5T 5-Port Unmanaged 2.5GbE Switch

Power usage will be where it needs to be. Since I have no control over that, I don't fret about it either. If you stick with consumer/prosumer equipment.

Enterprise equipment is ill-suited to almost any standard home installation. With regards to cost, power, noise, and heat. Not to mention the 'service' contracts most equipment needs to be fully utilized at its highest potential. And the cost, as you've already observed, of replacing that level of equipment in a typical home.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!