What's new

help with openvpn client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mustang_52

New Around Here
ok, my setup is an rt-ac66u running merlins latest. so I signed up for a vpn service and setup what I could in the client side and it all works. the only thing is I don't want my whole network running through the vpn. is there a setting or something to only allow a specific ip? I also want to know if the vpn server goes down for some reason, will all traffic stop or will it use my isp info as a default. id like for it to kill my internet incase the vpn stops. thanks in advance.

OpenVPN

Never say never, but I don't know how to make it work using your new ASUS router.

In my network setup I use an E3000 with custom dual gateway software from Sabai Technology. Then based on a device's MAC address the connected device is either assigned a connection through my VPN provider or a local connection. For devices with multiple MACs you can specify how each adapter/radio should be connected. The dual gateway also lets you specify a default of either VPN or local.

In your case you may need to use two wireless routers. The first router and the associated SSIDs would be set up normally to connect to your ISP. You would then run an Ethernet cable from a LAN port on your first router to the WAN port on the ASUS. You would set the ASUS with a different set of SSIDs and its own DHCP server range. Also, depending on how the routers play with each other you may need to put the second router in the first router's DMZ.

I don't use my VPN connection 100% of the time because of the loss in download speed. With a 5 Mbps connection the 1 - 1.5 Mbps reduction in download speed when using VPN is noticeable (nearest VPN server is 1,200 miles distant). I use my VPN for banking, on line shopping and geo blocked video streaming.

I've been looking at a sabai router and I really like what I've read about them. Do you think I could just get the linksys. E4200 and just add that to my existing setup? I still like my Asus. But I like the linksys also.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Dual Gateway Sabai

I have been very satisfied with their software and their service and the telephone support they offer is beyond compare. If after trying the E4200 you need to increase the through put on your VPN you can look at adding Sabai's Accelerator.

The bandwidth logging software is great as is the dual gateway capability.

The only feature that the Sabai/Tomatoe software doesn't offer that I would use is the ability to shut off the radios at night. I find that is useful to save wear and tear on the radios.

In my unique geographic location I still find it useful to run another AP besides my E3000 for local ISP access. The radios on the N66U with the external antennas are hard to beat.

Shouldn't be a problem to have a router based on Tomato turn off the radios based on a schedule, using a Cron job and the "wl" command.

I have been very satisfied with their software and their service and the telephone support they offer is beyond compare. If after trying the E4200 you need to increase the through put on your VPN you can look at adding Sabai's Accelerator.

The bandwidth logging software is great as is the dual gateway capability.

The only feature that the Sabai/Tomatoe software doesn't offer that I would use is the ability to shut off the radios at night. I find that is useful to save wear and tear on the radios.

In my unique geographic location I still find it useful to run another AP besides my E3000 for local ISP access. The radios on the N66U with the external antennas are hard to beat.

Any idea how I might get this to work with nvpn.net?