What's new

HELP with second ASUS router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The ISP's here give you a VERY CRAPPY CHEAP modem/router,

so can you bridge it ?

The DSL AC68U is really a bad choice?

on long lines from the exchange for adsl yes it is , vdsl wise its very early days for us here in OZ so cant really say how well the asus dsl-ac68u works on vdsl apart to say that it has been noted as working after configuration , our main issue here is we dont have one standard of vdsl and it depends on the provider as to the configuration , some use vlan tagging some use 30A some use ppoe some use ipoe etc

so you can by all means take a chance with the asus dsl-ac68u and it may work fine for you or not lol , however you cant use any 3rd party firmware on any modem/router combo so you are stuck with the stock firmware what ever you buy and is why most ppl bridge an isp supplied modem and connect a wireless router behind it in ether pppoe or ipoa

so can you bridge it ?

on long lines from the exchange for adsl yes it is , vdsl wise its very early days for us here in OZ so cant really say how well the asus dsl-ac68u works on vdsl apart to say that it has been noted as working after configuration , our main issue here is we dont have one standard of vdsl and it depends on the provider as to the configuration , some use vlan tagging some use 30A some use ppoe some use ipoe etc

Nope, we can never BRIDGE a ISP supplied modem here in BR. They ALWAYS have a crippled firmware so you can't do anything. Just Google the following: "GVT powerbox 2764" , and you will see a good example of an excellent device turned into a piece of garbage due to crippled firmware.

VDSL here is ALWAYS PPPOE. Does that makes sense to you? Makes the DSL AC68U less "ugly"?

and I have no idea (sorry!) about what you mean by "long lines from the exhange".

My biggest concern with the DSL AC68U is not the modem part or the lack of custom firmware, but actually whereas the device works and performs with the same excellent quality as the RT AC68U, or of the added modem CPU crippled the router part in some way and it performs poorly compared to the older brother...

Maybe I'll get an AC88U and just forget about it!

Pete and Merlin (and all the folks who kindly, contributed to this thread),

My time is up and I have to decide which one to purchase TODAY.

After some considerations about the DSL ac68U, Im more inclined again towards the RT ac88U/RT3100.

BUT.....

A quite extensive CNET review (HERE) puts many doubts in my mind when it reveals what seems to be a better performance of the ac68U at 2,4ghz at LONG distances compared to ac88U!

Does that makes sense??

Here are the numbers (100 feet = 3 meters):

-- 2,4GHz --

AC68U
15 feet: 225 Mbps
100 feet: 211,4 Mbps

AC88U
15 feet: 229Mbps
100 feet: 102Mbps

-- 5GHZ --

AC68U
15 feet: 521,4 Mbps
100 feet: 336 Mbps

AC88U

15 feet: 643,6 Mbps
100 feet: 345,2 Mbps

The dont even include the AC88U graphics in the 2,4GHz comparative chart because its soooo low!!!

This is a SPEED test, can i assume it shows how signal strenght/power is at same distances??

How conclusive are these numbers?? Can i assume AC88U will perform poorly compared to AC68U in my rather large house with thick walls??

Please, I would really appreciate a conclusive decision today. Im not asking anyone to decide for me, but i really would appreciate if the technical specs could be explained to me regarding which one would perform with better signal strenght in the new house, which is a 1950 house with large thich brick walls, with over 50 meters extension from front door to back door.

All the reviews I read state that the AC88U is hands down the BEST Asus router today.

But this specific poor performance at 2,4Ghz (which usually works better at far distances, right??)

If you could please give me some of your comments regarding this issue, I will make my final choice today and get the 68U or 88U/RT3100 based on your comments.

THANKS in advance!

A quite extensive CNET review
while i would hardly call any cnet test extensive , his conclusion is the same as ours

and i quote

Conclusion
The RT-AC88U is easily the best router from Asus to date and one of the best dual-band routers on the market. With excellent performance and a ton of features, it's a great buy for anyone who wants to get the most out of their home network. The fact that it has eight Gigabit LAN port (instead of the usual four) means you can plug many more wired clients into it before the need for a switch arises. And if you're an MMO gamer, the router's support for the WTFast is definitely worth the extra cash.

In short, there's no other router that offers more. But if you don't need fancy features and just want a stable router to share your Internet connection, also consider the Asus RT-AC68U, the Netgear R7000 or the Linksys WRT1900ACS. These are also great routers and at a lower cost.

so get the rt-ac68u

while i would hardly call any cnet test extensive , his conclusion is the same as ours
(...)
so get the rt-ac68u

So it means the tests are "dead on" and I understood them correctly: the AC68U has a better signal at longer ranges at 2,4ghz than the 88U!! That's very shocking and confusing....

So it means the tests are "dead on" and I understood them correctly

no it means they had a strange set of test results that they then didnt follow up and is why i said its hardly extensive testing as they dont repeat tests or follow up abnormal results

the AC68U has a better signal at longer ranges at 2,4ghz than the 88U!!

again this is not the conclusion of the review here at smb nor mine , however i do have an issue with the 88u only syncing at 20mhz speeds with my test adapter and windows 10 and this would give the results cnet reported , this is however being investigated

suggest you stop going round in circles and just get the rt-ac68u and call it job done

suggest you stop going round in circles and just get the rt-ac68u and call it job done

The RT AC68U was actually my first choice since the beginning, until someone suggested I should invest a little more money on a newer more updated device.

The problem im having is finding a 1Ghz CPU 68U with also the USB 3.0 problem fixed. It's not very easy to spot them! And I'm still unsure the "P" version is the 1Ghz one.

Purchasing the 88U would be "much easier", since I don't mind the higher cost, specially if it had a slightly better signal. I could even find use for the 8 ports considering I get the 88U instead of the RT3100.

lol man your ocd must be driving you insane , just make a decision and stick with it and if it doesnt work out return for a refund , its that simple , we can only suggest how these devices go as in each case they will be different in each location depending on the environment or materials used

lol man your ocd must be driving you insane , just make a decision and stick with it and if it doesnt work out return for a refund , its that simple , we can only suggest how these devices go as in each case they will be different in each location depending on the environment or materials used

Actually, it's nothing simple. As I mentioned before, I cannot refund a "bad" choice because these products are not sold here in my country. I cannot order them online from US or Europe or eBay like you can in Australia or other countries. I have to rely on "illegal" import methods, like people who bring them from other countries without paying taxes and charge a good amount of money for the "service" (That's why I said the 88U would be easier to purchase than the 68P!).

This means no warranty and also no refund possibility.

Because of that, devices cost a lot more in the end, so that also means we must maximize our puchases: I need to choose te BEST product for my needs today BUT ALSO necessarily considering my needs in a few years, its longevity: buy something expensive that maybe I don't need today, but will be useful in a few years, because it will take a loooong time until I can purchase another product like that.

That's why I was aiming at the RT5300, and even the AC88U, cause maybe in a couple years it will have an excellent stock firmware that will place it in a better category than the AC68U is today!

So, my process of choice of product and purchase is nothing "simple" and It must not accommodate error.

Get my point? I know my excessive questioning may sound like OCD but it's actually the process most (tech/geek) people go thru when purchasing something like I'm trying to do.

Now, I just read a review of the AC6P model on SNB that says it has a weaker signal atrength, specially for longer distances on 2.4ghz.

Does that means I should avoid it? Remember: my main goal is good signal all over a large house with thick brick walls.

Last edited:
mabhz, you're right, it isn't easy. I could complicate things even further, very easily. I won't though. If I were you, I would purchase the 88U and be done with it. According to what your needs are, I have no doubt that you would be very satisfied with it's performance and whatever future needs you might have. While we're on the subject of 2,4GHz, in my environment it sucks on the 68U but works without a fault on the 88U.

mabhz, you're right, it isn't easy. I could complicate things even further, very easily. I won't though. If I were you, I would purchase the 88U and be done with it. According to what your needs are, I have no doubt that you would be very satisfied with it's performance and whatever future needs you might have. While we're on the subject of 2,4GHz, in my environment it sucks on the 68U but works without a fault on the 88U.

Thank you for your comments!

In my personnal experience with the AC68U, in a rather small apartment (110 square meters), the 5Ghz really sucks, and the 2.4GHz works adequately, much better than on previous devices like the DSL 2640, Apple Airport Extreme, Sagemcom 2674, etc.

Hi again, good friends!

I thank everyone again for all the nice and elucidative comments, specially RMerlin and Pete, and yet again I woud like to pop another question, this time NOT about a router model:

If i change the stock antennas of any given router (AC68U, RT88U, RT3100, etc) for ones with higher db, will I get a more powerfull signal?

Hi again, good friends!

I thank everyone again for all the nice and elucidative comments, specially RMerlin and Pete, and yet again I woud like to pop another question, this time NOT about a router model:

If i change the stock antennas of any given router (AC68U, RT88U, RT3100, etc) for ones with higher db, will I get a more powerfull signal?

Yes and no. :)

The signal itself (in total) will not become more powerful. But it will be stretched in one direction or another to make it seem so (for the desired effect).

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/data-center/80211-time-to-clear-up-some-antenna-misconceptions/

If you have a single story structure that you want to increase the range in (and the WiFi router is in the middle), then an antennae with higher dBi may help.

Don't forget though that the router's antennae is only one end of the system; the clients need to be capable of operating and communicating with the router from the further locations too with their non-changeable stock antennae too (some devices' designs are better at this than others).

So, while the theory says 'yes'. The actual results may be 'no'. Depending on all the variable factors that WiFi entails, including those listed above.

Yes and no. :)

The signal itself (in total) will not become more powerful. But it will be stretched in one direction or another to make it seem so (for the desired effect).

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/data-center/80211-time-to-clear-up-some-antenna-misconceptions/

If you have a single story structure that you want to increase the range in (and the WiFi router is in the middle), then an antennae with higher dBi may help.

Don't forget though that the router's antennae is only one end of the system; the clients need to be capable of operating and communicating with the router from the further locations too with their non-changeable stock antennae too (some devices' designs are better at this than others).

So, while the theory says 'yes'. The actual results may be 'no'. Depending on all the variable factors that WiFi entails, including those listed above.

Thank you very much for your explanation! I understand perfectly, and still believe its a good idea to try a more powerfull antennae. If no desired effect is achieved, i will just reattach the default ones back.

So, my next question: what brand/model/"db power" of antennas would be recommended to replace a AC68U and AC88U stock antennas?

9db? 12 db? any particular "brand"?

I have been told today, by the IT manager of the office I work on, that I cannot "just" replace a router´s antena without checking if it supports the new antena (amount of dbs) and if the change suits the layout of the place im going to use it, because sometimes a more powerfull antena will increase the radions and range of the signal, but will make it worse for those close to the router.

So, how much of that do I need to take into consideration?

How do I find out if the suggested antennas are compatible with AC88U and AC68U, and if both will have better performance with 9db antenas?

I have been told today, by the IT manager of the office I work on, that I cannot "just" replace a router´s antena without checking if it supports the new antena (amount of dbs) and if the change suits the layout of the place im going to use it, because sometimes a more powerfull antena will increase the radions and range of the signal, but will make it worse for those close to the router.

So, how much of that do I need to take into consideration?

How do I find out if the suggested antennas are compatible with AC88U and AC68U, and if both will have better performance with 9db antenas?

Your IT manager isn't giving you the whole story.

The two links (above) I've given will (you may have to do further research - how is your google-fu?).

The antennae you want need to have the same connectors (obviously) and be dual band capable. Past that, it is the quality of the design used and the quality of the manufacturing plus the compatibility of your actual physical network environment and specific devices that will determine how much better (or worse) they will work for you.

Again; the variables that WiFi entails make it nearly impossible to simply point you to a specific item and assume it will 'just work'. The basics, you now have (review the links above). The specifics will depend on you testing in your own environment.