What's new

Help With Unusual AiMesh Setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

edpassos

Occasional Visitor
I'm setting up an AiMesh network in my house with an unusual AiMesh configuration. Below you can see a diagram of my setup and questions. Hope someone can help.

1650338365418.png

Unfortunately I can't get rid of my ISP Router as the position in the house the ISP could install the optical fiber is not very favorable to put a decent router and disable the ISP router (but I disabled its wireless connections leaving only LAN connection). I could pass cables to any important part of the house creating an entire wired backhaul network. Today I have my main router, an Asus RT-AX88U, in my living room (upper floor) and a secondary one (that should be my AiMesh node) close to the ISP router on the ground floor.

Today my AX88U router is operating in 'Wireless Router Mode (Default)'. I would like just one router distributing IPs to the network but I don't want to lose Asus features such as firewall, parental control, etc. changing it to AP mode. How do you see it? Should I change it to AP mode for better performance anyway? Or do you suggest any other setup?

An extra question: the "internet (WAN)" led on the AX56U is red. But internet is working just fine. Is it normal for some reason?

run two cat6 cables from the ISP router to the location of the AX88U. One goes from a lan port on the ISP router to the WAN port on the AX88U. The other goes from a LAN port on the AX88U to the LAN/WAN port on the AX56U depending on what mode you want to run the AX56U. For the AImesh or AP mode setup, just follow the asus directions. i would use wired based AP mode personally.

Run a cat5e or cat6 cable from a LAN port on the AX88U to the switch. Use the switch to connect to all of the wired devices in the upstairs. You should locate the switch in conditioned air space and not in the attic if it can get above about 90F/35C in the attic.

The AX56U must not connect to the ISP router, only to the LAN cable from the AX88u

What are you trying to show with the LAN connections through the power conditioner ?
It would be a very unusual case to place such a thing on an ethernet connection. Power, yes.

Thanks @degrub,

run two cat6 cables from the ISP router to the location of the AX88U. One goes from a lan port on the ISP router to the WAN port on the AX88U. The other goes from a LAN port on the AX88U to the LAN/WAN port on the AX56U depending on what mode you want to run the AX56U. For the AImesh or AP mode setup, just follow the asus directions. i would use wired based AP mode personally.
The problem is that the AX56U is far from the AX88U and passing a cable is impossible without breaking walls now. I could connect it to AX88U wirelessly (which I personally don't like and my speed drops to 1/4 of total). The other option would be the AP mode as described in Asus support ( https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1044151/ ). What do you think about it? I will lose AX88U functionalities (firewall, parental control, etc.), right?

1650389221481.png

You should locate the switch in conditioned air space and not in the attic if it can get above about 90F/35C in the attic.
It's a kind of a fresh place in attic (I don't believe it gets above 90F/35C in normal conditions) and I need it there to distribute cables to the rest of the house.

What are you trying to show with the LAN connections through the power conditioner ?
It would be a very unusual case to place such a thing on an ethernet connection. Power, yes.
I'm just using the option provided by the power conditioner. I can remove it, but I never had a problem with that though :D

If you only need APs, none of the Asus router features, and are comfortable using the ISP router/firewall, then AP mode would be the easy option leaving everything where it is.

if you want the Asus functions, the only other choice is to place the 88 where the 56 is located, cable from isp lan port to wan port of 88. Then use existing cable to attic switch and connect to lan port of 88. Place 56 where the 88 was, either in AP mode or as additional router (triple NAT). I would use AP mode.

If you only need APs, none of the Asus router features, and are comfortable using the ISP router/firewall, then AP mode would be the easy option leaving everything where it is.

if you want the Asus functions, the only other choice is to place the 88 where the 56 is located, cable from isp lan port to wan port of 88. Then use existing cable to attic switch and connect to lan port of 88. Place 56 where the 88 was, either in AP mode or as additional router (triple NAT). I would use AP mode.
I got it. In this case I won't have the entire area covered as 88 does it now. I will try AP mode to see how it goes.

I would recommend moving the 88 to the ground floor and plugging the ISP into its WAN connection. Then have one of the LAN ports (of the 88) go into the 56. If you use the 56 as an AiMesh node, then use its WAN port, otherwise use its LAN port (but also disable dhcp)

I would recommend moving the 88 to the ground floor and plugging the ISP into its WAN connection. Then have one of the LAN ports (of the 88) go into the 56. If you use the 56 as an AiMesh node, then use its WAN port, otherwise use its LAN port (but also disable dhcp)
That would be my preferred setup too, but in this case I won't have the entire area covered as 88 does it now (main rooms of the house are in the upper floor).

You could run the 56 in wireless router mode next to the isp router, connect the isp lan port to its wan port, connect the cable to the switch to a lan port on the 56 and run the 88 in AP mode.
if the 56 is not up to the task, replace it with another 88 and use the 56 somewhere in AP mode.

You could run the 56 in wireless router mode next to the isp router, connect the isp lan port to its wan port, connect the cable to the switch to a lan port on the 56 and run the 88 in AP mode.
if the 56 is not up to the task, replace it with another 88 and use the 56 somewhere in AP mode.

I followed the previous suggestion and connected the ISP router LAN port to 88 LAN port and used it in AP mode; while ISP router is connect to 56 WAN port and used it as an AiMesh node. Performance looks the same overall and I can cover every corner of my place, however - as expected - many Asus functions were lost (I especially miss its firewall, QoS and AdGuard facility).

I'll try this one as well.