What's new

Hidden 802.11a Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zackattack784

Regular Contributor
I'm kind of stumped by this and I was wondering if anybody has any ideas. When I use WinFi a hidden network will pop up from time to time with a very high signal strength. It seems to come and go at random and I can't for the life of me figure out what it belongs to. Given the strength and the fact I'm in a single family home I'm pretty sure it's coming from my home somewhere. The MAC is 62:45:B6:A1:BB:78. I've tried unplugging various electronics in the room I think it's coming from and I can't for the life of me figure it out. Any suggestions are welcome.
1599147455951.png

I do have an Xbox in the room that is currently on standby so this is a great suggestion. I’ll try it and let you know!

Another thing might be that your ISP is also hosting a freeWIFI network that other customers that reside within the range of your wifi modem are able to use. My ISP does that but i have got it switched off as i don't trust ISP network safety.

Another thing might be that your ISP is also hosting a freeWIFI network that other customers that reside within the range of your wifi modem are able to use. My ISP does that but i have got it switched off as i don't trust ISP network safety.
I have my own modem and router so it’s not that. I think I’ve narrowed it down to either my Xbox or my TV (thanks Colin). I at least feel better knowing where it’s coming from now. Thanks all!

I have my own modem and router so it’s not that. I think I’ve narrowed it down to either my Xbox or my TV (thanks Colin). I at least feel better knowing where it’s coming from now. Thanks all!
Yeah, my Sony smart TV has an annoying habit of re-enabling its WiFi Direct every time there's a firmware update for it.

My amazon firesticks do this too.

Trick is to use something like wifi analyser then walk around watching for signal strength to increase as you get closer.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!