What's new

Unknown Hidden Network from Xbox

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rx_vp

New Around Here
Hi,
I was trying to solve my lagging network so I used Inssider and discovered that an unsecured hidden network was congesting my wifi. Thinking that it was from my neighbors, the solution was to change my wifi channel. But again after experiencing a slowdown, I again used Inssider and again the same unsecured hidden network has moved on my current channel. Upon further inspection, the unsecured hidden network with a mac address that has an unknown vendor was coming from my Xbox. I tried configuring the Xbox but I don't see any option to disable its wireless capabilities (as an access point). The Xbox is connected using an ethernet cable and not on wifi. The only way to get rid of the hidden network is by unplugging the Xbox.

Is there something installed in the Xbox that I am not aware?

Thanks.

Google is your friend: Can an Xbox interfere with wifi?

Is this a second network, or is it possible to use "direct connect" with a separate SSID with the Xbox, which would be the same radio on the Xbox, just able to connect to other devices directly?

unsecured hidden network was congesting my wifi

It's not congesting anything. This hidden network is used for the wireless controllers. There is no traffic there, it virtually needs no airtime, used for locating and waking up the controllers. Just tuned to some channel and sending beacons. Doesn't affect other Wi-Fi devices whatsoever on the same or different channel.