What's new

High CPU again when installing flash drives

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
Having had a problem with spdMerlin data disappearing from the GUI of my RT-AX88U and also not being able to get any ntpMerlin stats in the GUI, I decided to try starting all over. I've followed the procedure that L&LD kindly advised me to use, but not matter what I try, as soon as I plug in the newly formatted flash drives, the CPU on all 4 cores goes crazy. I've tried reformatting the jffs and all the other procedures, but the problem remains.
Using htop, this is what is being reported as consuming large amounts of CPU resources:-

Screenshot - 17_09_2020 , 19_19_11.jpg

Can anyone advise me on this please?

Try turning-off Samba in the USB/Server Center. There's not much benefit in sharing a flash drive. BTW, is it formatted EXT4?

OK, I'll give it a try in a few minutes - I'm currently doing a full reformat of the flash drive to eliminate any possibility of junk left over from something else.

What I have done is turned off Samba sharing as you suggested, removed the flash drive from my router, performed a full format of the flash drive on my Windows 10 laptop, formatted the jffs partition at next boot, rebooted the router, re-enabled custom scripts and then plugged the flash drive back into the router. This seems to have solved the problem as this is the current state of the CPU's:-

Screenshot - 17_09_2020 , 20_23_35.jpg

So now I'm ready to reinstall amtm and the various scripts I want to use.

Just one question - do you happen to know why the Samba sharing would have been causing this problem?

I would expect the high overhead would only last a few minutes as the share scanned the drive. I wouldn't expect it to consume all 4 cores. But why are you formatting it on the PC? Install amtm (if necessary) and then install the disk format script. Format EXT4.

I've got all the scripts installed that I wanted to use and all is now functioning correctly, even the missing graphs in the GUI have returned. The CPU usage is now back to normal:-

Screenshot - 17_09_2020 , 22_09_08.jpg