What's new

High performance tested routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AndrewWSN

New Around Here
Hi

I’m looking for some tested recommendations to meet the following spec.

I need to connect to a Virgin Hub 4 using 2 x 1GB(full duplex) bonded connections (wan) to get the most out of the 1.1GB broadband, and to meet the future 2+gb broadband requirements .

The virgin hub is in modem only mode.

The internal connection needs to be a single 2.5GB (full duplex). Although all 2.5Gb + connection would be good.

I want to avoid what is often called fast nat as you lose packet filtering capabilities on products like openwrt.

I currently have an old Netgear R8000 running tomato in fast nat mode and it just makes 940Gb, i.e. the limit of 1GB ethernet.

I don’t mind using custom firmware (in fact I prefer it, I have found too many limitations in home products)

I need to NAT from multiple subnets (a limitation of many home products). All DNS / DHCP is controlled internally.

No wireless required; in fact, it will be cheaper if there is not one.

I believe the CPU and NAT perf + flexible 2.5GB ports are the most important feature for me

I was going to purchase a Microtik RB5009UG+S+IN, but they have been unavailable for months and the restocking date keeps getting pushed back and back.

Many Thanks

Andrew

Have you looked at netgate pfsense boxes?

I am considering going the pfsense/switch/ruckus access point (not required by yourself) route next time I rebuild my network.

Found this interesting, although the box he uses is a smaller one, the prinicple is the same.

Interested in your thoughts, also a VM user, considering going to Toob.

Thanks

I had a quick look at a pf sense netgate 6100 but starting at £700+ looks to be priced way over the top, may as well use a slim pc.

I was also looking at

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B53N5LB5/?tag=snbforums-20

However, for that type of money I don’t want to buy then find out it does not work fast enough.

Hence the request. In reality I want to find someone who has pushed more that 1gbs (with plenty of spare capacity) on lan to wan with nat. This is getting too expensive to throw away hardware if it does not perform.

I watched the video, interesting, and I like network chucks videos.

I did try some Raspberry Pi4’s but maxed the interrupts, so the CPU not fast enough, still clocked Iiirc around 800mbs. Maybe the Pi5 (if it arrives)

As for VM, in modem mode (apart from a planned outage for under 30 seconds) it’s been fault less. I do test the connection every 4 seconds. Clocking 940mbs on a 1.134 gb connection (but this is the limit of 1gb lan i.e. the port capacity on the hub 4). I also do not use wifi.

You either live on the coast or close to me as you mentioned Toob. I was going to use toob , but they are around a year late in delivering their service (from initial date), and in my view their customer communications is terrible, and I’m not even a customer yet. I may still consider toob if they partner with my other ISP Zen, so I can keep all the service and static IPs offered by zen.

Andrew

Thanks

I had a quick look at a pf sense netgate 6100 but starting at £700+ looks to be priced way over the top, may as well use a slim pc.

I was also looking at

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B53N5LB5/?tag=snbforums-20

However, for that type of money I don’t want to buy then find out it does not work fast enough.

Hence the request. In reality I want to find someone who has pushed more that 1gbs (with plenty of spare capacity) on lan to wan with nat. This is getting too expensive to throw away hardware if it does not perform.

I watched the video, interesting, and I like network chucks videos.

I did try some Raspberry Pi4’s but maxed the interrupts, so the CPU not fast enough, still clocked Iiirc around 800mbs. Maybe the Pi5 (if it arrives)

As for VM, in modem mode (apart from a planned outage for under 30 seconds) it’s been fault less. I do test the connection every 4 seconds. Clocking 940mbs on a 1.134 gb connection (but this is the limit of 1gb lan i.e. the port capacity on the hub 4). I also do not use wifi.

You either live on the coast or close to me as you mentioned Toob. I was going to use toob , but they are around a year late in delivering their service (from initial date), and in my view their customer communications is terrible, and I’m not even a customer yet. I may still consider toob if they partner with my other ISP Zen, so I can keep all the service and static IPs offered by zen.

Andrew
Must be near you, as not in the coastal zone :)

Welcome to the forums, good to see another local.

Last edited:
SFF PC - $150
4-port 2.5GE NIC - $130
OS - Linux $0

While it's not the out of the box or off the shelf experience it's cheaper and fully customizable to your needs. Plenty of guides on how to setup the PC as a router out there using Linux. Might take you a half hour following the guides or less than 10 minutes if you're familiar with Linux commands already.

I was going to purchase a Microtik RB5009UG+S+IN, but they have been unavailable for months and the restocking date keeps getting pushed back and back.

Many Thanks

Andrew
getic.com have a large quantity coming in at the end of october….

That's an impressive piece of kit "NAT Throughput: 9.4Gbps". Its really starting to get in to the branch office of a large company arena. Only concern if its rack mount. If you look at the price around £700. Its high , However if you look at high end home routers they are not much less and i would defiantly prefer the Draytek
Thanks for the recommendation

I have been thinking the same, I watched

Its not that budget is limited, its just to take a guess when its costs £100's hurts more than risking £10's i.e. raspberry Pi4 ( I tried and not fast enough) If I purchase a couple of these at say £700 each and they don't work its not good.

Ah I didn't know there was a budget limit.

Well, I'm on the IQRouter Pro thread and someone recommended me these more affordable options with 2.5G ports.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09PHHXN9V/?tag=snbforums-20

That's an impressive piece of kit "NAT Throughput: 9.4Gbps". Its really starting to get in to the branch office of a large company arena. Only concern if its rack mount. If you look at the price around £700. Its high , However if you look at high end home routers they are not much less and i would defiantly prefer the Draytek
Thanks for the recommendation
The device comes with a rack mounting kit.