What's new

Home network configuration (PFsense)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello,

I am interested in setting up a PFsense appliance for OpenVPN application. I have come across a claim from a PFsense advocate who stated this about PFsense:

"My speeds are 940Mb/sec off VPN, 840Mb/sec on VPN max sustained speeds using Torguard VPN using OpenSSL using their 10Gb
premium network on a dedicated pfsense box with a cheap aes-ni processor with a dual port 10Gb NIC. ( For me, it's worth the extra 26.6 cents per day for the extra speed their premium network can give me consistently 840 ), but to each their own I suppose. For folks who do not need the fastest speeds that their premium offers as a service, there is the regular shared service too. Nothing wrong with either, just personal preference..."

Is this a realistic performance expectation using an appropriate AES-NI processor with ISP line speed of 1000/500Mbps fiber service?

Thank you in advance.
buk

Kinda. 2 10Gb ports may have a problem plugging into a modem unless it supports 10/1 gig ports. If you run a motherboard which supports 2 Intel 10 gig NICs then it probably is a fast enough motherboard to support a 1 gig VPN connection. You may not need a 10 gig motherboard to achieve what you want.