1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Home Network Design help with L3 Switch

Discussion in 'Other LAN and WAN' started by trpltongue, Oct 18, 2019.

1. coxhaus

coxhaus Part of the Furniture

I thought you had this running on the other thread. I always run my FindIT on an access port connected with a wire on VLAN1. Maybe reinstall. It might be using an old network IP.

2. trpltongue

trpltongue Regular Contributor

It was running perfectly when I had the laptop connected via wire directly to the switch on an access port.

In the long run, I will run it from my server directly connected to the switch, but for now I’m running the Cisco gear in parallel to my ATT network and using my laptop and iPhone to test.

3. coxhaus

You may end up with Wi-Fi channel problems running dual Wi-Fi networks. Do you have a Wi-Fi channel scanner you can use to setup non-overlapping channels like inSSIDer?

I thought you were using passthrough on the AT&T modem?

4. trpltongue

I have disabled the 2.4Ghz on the Cisco WAP for now and disabled the 5ghz on the att WiFi.

I am running the att gateway in passthrough mode, but dhcp is still enabled on the att gateway and all my other gear is still connected to it. Apparently the gateway runs in a bit of a dual mode where it still executes routing functions for devices connected to it but also passes the external IP address through to the Cisco router.

5. coxhaus

I have bought a SG350 switch with POE+. I decided to try the 10 port model since this what a lot people on this forum might buy. I will see if I like it vs my old SG300-28 model.

6. trpltongue

Awesome!

I’ve been running for a few days now without any issue. I had a bit of a hiccup with the ATT gateway and needed to reboot it, but it’s been running for a week now in parallel with the normal system with no issues.

I’ve been swamped with work lately so I haven’t had a chance to think through VLANs yet, but that’ll be next on the list. The guest VLAN seems to be working perfectly as well so far.

7. coxhaus

I thought I would add this for using routing protocols and L3 switches. If you buy the higher end Cisco small business switches like the SG550 L3 switches you can use routing protocols. The routing protocols take away having to manually setup all the static routes. You turn on routing protocols and they resolve routing issues between devices like routers and L3 switches. Here is a link for setting them up.

8. trpltongue

Thanks! I’m going to try to take some time to understand that video :)

9. coxhaus

You would need a SG550 switch. The SG350 switches only have static routing no protocol routing. I added the video for fun incase someone else had the higher end switch that was reading this thread.

L&LD likes this.