What's new

Home Network Revamp

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

On the router RV340 you need to go to LAN and under LAN there is VLAN settings the default IP is 192.168.1.1 so you do not need to change anything. Then under LAN/DHCP setting you need to disable server so DHCP is shutdown.

Now add static routes for all the VLANs you added to the L3 switch. Static routes are under routing.

So on the Static Routing of the RV340 I add
Network: 192.168.10.0
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Next Hop: 192.168.1.254
Metric: What do I add here? 1 goes here
Interface: Leave as WAN1 This should be VLAN1

Last edited:
I think you are missing DNS in your DHCP scopes. I point to my router for DNS. My router has QUAD9, 9.9.9.9 defined to it. I have my DHCP scope on the DNS set to other with my router IP. Maybe it works your way also. Does ipconfig /all show DNS?
ipconfig/all shows this:
1600026389013.png

Looks like the ISPs DNS. Not sure how to change this in the router. Saw this in the switch somewhere.

Well as long as you are handing out DNS then things should work. We can change the DNS settings later after you get it all working.

So, only about two thirds of the devices are able to connect to the internet. The switch does not seem to be handing out IP Addresses to the rest?

To me DHCP either works or it doesn't. Pick 1 and let's trouble shoot it. What IP does the device which doesn't work end up with? Are they all in the same switch?

Last edited:
Yes, you mentioned that earlier and I changed them all the VLAN 1.

The family needed wifi so I just plugged the WAPs into the switch. They have not been reconfigured. I started on the SG250X switch and added the VLANs. Do I need to add the Static IPs and routing as well or is that all done on the SG350X switch?

Also, when I changed the Ports on the 350 to Trunk it automatically added all the VLANs as tagged members VLAN 1 is Untagged. Is this correct?

Last edited:
No static routes on the sg250X switch since it is running layer 2. Just add the matching VLANs from the SG350X switch that will be used on the SG250X switch.

There is an option to only add certain VLANs. You need to edit the trunk and only add the needed VLANs for this trunk.

With the wireless configure the first WAP571 as a cluster then just add the rest to the cluster. The wizard will auto configure the other wireless APs. Manually set the channels. Don't use auto channel select. Assign a SSID per VLAN. I use both 2.4 GHz and 5GHz on the same SSID. You will probably want your guest network on a separate SSID. I don't know which VLAN is your guest VLAN.

Last edited:
I am assuming I place the same VLANs on the WAP as well? Also, do the WAPs (or switches) need static IPs?

So I have added the First WAP as single point setup and added the VLANs and the VAPs. I can see the SSIDs on the cell phone but I am not able to access the internet on the iPhone. Interestingly the Alexa is working just fine....

Also the switch (SG200-08) is still handing out IP addresses on VLAN 1 vice VLAN 50 - all ports are assigned (I think) to VLAN 50

Also the switch (SG200-08) is still handing out IP addresses on VLAN 1 vice VLAN 50 - all ports are assigned (I think) to VLAN 50

Sounds like you need an uplink trunk port with VLAN1 and VLAN50. I have a SG200-8 at my entertainment center using 2 VLANs. If you plugged into an access port then you will only get DHCP for that 1 VLAN.

Last edited:
So I have added the First WAP as single point setup and added the VLANs and the VAPs. I can see the SSIDs on the cell phone but I am not able to access the internet on the iPhone. Interestingly the Alexa is working just fine....

Are you on Wi-Fi and what are your DHCP settings on the iPhone? You could be missing DNS on the iPhone whereas the Alexa may default to a DNS. Can you show me a screen shot of the WAP571 AP menu networks under wireless? I also need a screen shot on the SG350X switch VLAN Management -> Port to VLAN membership.

Last edited:
Connecting to the WIFI but not connecting to the internet. Also getting the correct VLAN 50 IP address (192.168.50.x). So I dropped 9.9.9.9 in the manual DNS on the iPhone and now it works just fine. So is it something on the switch not set up correctly to hand out DNS?

Edit - had lost connectivity on my PC, added a manual DNS on the ethernet adapter and I am back on line - so there is a definite issue DNS wise somewhere.

Last edited:
Let's undo all your LAGs. Get everything working and then we can add them back. You have ports with non-operational VLANs. You have LAG ports with different VLANs defined. LAG ports need to be defined exactly the same per LAG. Then you can show me port views not LAG views. I am not sure about the difference. I am not running any LAGs and when I show LAG it is different than port view. I personally think LAG is a waste at home. I would rather have the speed at home like 2.5 gig or 10 gig. LAG just gives you more bandwidth but no more speed and it uses lots of ports. It will be simpler for me to get this running without LAG. I am having to do heavy troubleshooting as you are having trouble with everything. We need to simplify this setup. I think we should concentrate on just the L3 switch and the wireless first. Once you get the LAGs out show me a port to VLAN membership with interface type equals' port. I would also like to know what ports you plugged the wireless and router into.

You need to add DNS on the DHCP scopes.

IPTV is on the RV340 router. What VLAN is the IPTV on? So how do you normally have this setup?

I assume the small port to VLAN is the SG200-8. If you want all the other ports besides the uplink port to be in VLAN50 then you need to change VLAN1 to VLAN50 only on the access ports that need to be in network 50. I am not sure why all the ports show as one giant LAG. I think you need select port GO instead of LAG GO on GUI.

Why do you have the RV340 router defined on both the SG350X and the SG200-8? There should be no router on the SG200-8.

What port is your wireless plugged into?

If you want access ports in VLANs other than VLAN1 then you have to change them.

I have been drinking red wine so it is a little harder right now. But your LAGs just don't seem right. You know you create 1 LAG per device.

The RV340 router is a 1 gig router so there is no reason I can think of to run a LAG on the RV340 router. The L3 switch is doing all the work.

I also don't understand your 5 GHz radio. You are using 2 SSIDs on the same VLAN. It adds overhead to slow things down. Why not just use 1 SSID? I am not sold on WMF so why are you using it? Maybe on guest. To me this is just slowing your wireless down. It is your network and you get to make these decisions.

Last edited:
OK - so a lot of good input there (and I personally find the red wine helps clarify my thinking!). Lets start with DNS.

You need to add DNS on the DHCP scopes.
I thought I had this done correctly however this was one of your first comments and you mention it again. Also, I was using Fing to identify what was was device-wise and it reports DNS is not configured so this has to be a major part of the issue. There is a DNS Settings area and this is what I have set up:
1600169930334.png

But I am getting the feeling this is not what you are talking about. I have now added 9.9.9.9 to the Option 6 area in the Network Pools Option. I have added to all VLANs.
1600171354793.png

I assume the small port to VLAN is the SG200-8.
No, this was a screen capture of the LAG VLAN Membership screen on the SG350X. There is no Router defined on any switch or WAP other than the 350.

IPTV is on the RV340 router. What VLAN is the IPTV on? So how do you normally have this setup?
Hmm. So normally they are plug and play - lets leave this for now and come back to it when everything else is figured out. I may just move them to a VLAN 1 port to see if that fixes anything.....

Wireless Ports are the trunk ports 10, 11 and 12. The Main WAP of the cluster WAP571-1 is on a LAG (ports 10 and 22 with 10 supplying POE and 22 just data). The two SSIDs on the same VLAN was an error and I have corrected that on the 5GHz radio.

I have left the LAGs (For now) but have cleaned up the Port to VLAN membership and removed the Inactive VLANs. Not sure why they were listed that way but anyways it looks much cleaner. I have also ensured that the active VLANs are set the same way on both ends of the trunk. Here is the WIFI Network:
1600172800612.png

and here is the updated Port VLAN Membership(ports 1-9 are just 1U:
1600172942308.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!