What's new

Home Network Setup with traffic monitoring

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

k9lef09

New Around Here
I've reached the limit of what I can figure out by reading forums and googling. I need help.

I have a home network (the design is below). I would like to monitor what sites my kids go to with their wireless devices and when they go to them. Basic parental controls are activated on the devices. I have looked at OpenDNS but that seems more like NetNanny than what I'm looking for.

- Fiber modem with static IP
- Wired Netgear ethernet router with standard firmware
- Wireless Asus AC66U with Merlin 378.56, in Router mode
- Combination of wired and wireless devices
- Tivo and Tivo stream have to be on the same subnet
- Devices to be monitored have static IPs
- Devices a spread across 3 floors

ISP > Modem > Ethernet Router > 5 Devices: Tivo, Tivo Stream, Roku, Xbox, Asus Wireless Router

From the Asus Router > 9 Devices: 3 ipods, 2 iphones, 1 ipad, 1 mac desktop, 2 windows laptops, 1 smart TV

I would like to monitor the 3 ipods and the smart TV. I have logging and traffic monitoring enabled. From there, I have no idea what to do..

I would think you need a PC based system with lots of hard drive space to store the info. Finding a free one is the trick. Syslog will dump lots of info but reading the data for what you want is the hard part. There may be free tools. Some other free packages to look at may be pfSense, Untangle, and Sophos Essentials. These are front end packages. Whether they fit, it will be up to you.

Thanks for the response. These appear to all be firewall software products which is not what I am looking for. I just need an application or process to capture the IP and URLs they visit through the wireless router. I don't need any additional filtering or content blocking.

Are the logs readable by applications like Splunk?

Last edited:
Am still working on this. Have tried a number of third party apps but biggest challenge is that primary router is not physically connected to desktop and don't have the option to change it.

Will try PRTG. Have also been trying dd-wrt to see if it's easier to get logs than merlin (which I prefer)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!