What's new

Home Networking Hardware Suggestions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MattGoose

New Around Here
Hi - I'm sure this is going to be very similar to other threads, but hopefully at least a little different.

Moved into a new house recently and am looking for whole home internet solution. Have 1gb FIOS and am currently using their equipment, which is inadequate to meet wifi needs.

I was going to grab a standard mesh kit and move on, but seeing how expensive they get very quickly, I think I can do better. Previous home was a simple Unifi system (USG, CK, PoE switch, 2 APs) largely driven by the availability of their outdoor AP.

We have ethernet drops in the attic, basement, home office and to outside. Plenty of coverage with 3-4 APs. I don't, however, have power in attic or outside. Also the attic is hot in the summer, so there is a limited number of APs I could find that have sufficient operating range.

So, my odd wish list
1. USG was previously a bottleneck for me. I don't want any of the equipment to get in the way (in other words, UDM pushing 800mbps with IDS/IPS on doesn't cut it).
2. PoE for APs
3. Manufacturer has to have an outdoor AP - I don't want to roam between networks going inside to out.
4. I would eventually like to add a couple of cameras to the house and one system would be great. It does appear you can get same or similar performance from Lorex/Reolink as with Unifi for less $$. But it's a consideration.

PoE and outdoor AP largely push me away from most (all?) consumer level solutions. I'm not a pro - but the Unifi solution at the old home was dead solid for 5 years.

I've looked at Omada and Instant On, but seems like the Unifi stuff is a bit more advanced for similar prices (could be entirely wrong on that though)....

I'm leaning toward UDM Pro, US-8-150w (from previous install), U6-Pro, U6-Mesh (for outside), UAP-IC-IW (from previous install).

What am I missing? What am I getting wrong? How am I being stupid? Thank you!

Seems like you already know what to do. You won't go wrong with either complete Omada or Unifi system, but if you are more familiar with Unifi - go for it. IDS/IPS is not very effective with today's encrypted traffic. Don't spend a lot of money on very fast firewall with IDS/IPS. It simply does nothing for >50% of the traffic. Running a proxy is too much trouble and you'll need different equipment.

Seems like you already know what to do. You won't go wrong with either complete Omada or Unifi system, but if you are more familiar with Unifi - go for it. IDS/IPS is not very effective with today's encrypted traffic. Don't spend a lot of money on very fast firewall with IDS/IPS. It simply does nothing for >50% of the traffic. Running a proxy is too much trouble and you'll need different equipment.

I have a long history of overcomplicating :)

Mainly wondering if I should be looking at products from other companies. And if not, do I use UDR/UDM as the base for the system? Or smarter to go with UDM Pro and future proof myself...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!