What's new

Home networking router advice needed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I would get an Alix 2D3 board and run PFSense.

2D3 isn't gigabit, so a separate switch will have to be purchased. 30 Mbps concurrent is well within the means of today's low-end consumer routers.

So the FVS318G is ok if the FIOS connection is below 30M? I don't think I will go over 30M for the near future (2, 3 years).

2D3 isn't gigabit, so a separate switch will have to be purchased. 30 Mbps concurrent is well within the means of today's low-end consumer routers.

I missed the 8-port requirement in the initial post. The 30 Mbps estimate is based on your bandwidth (20d+10u), and not an assessment of FVS318G performance.

You should consider being flexible on the 8-port specification. Adding a separate switch widens your pool of eligible routers. Based on the router charts, you can get a lot more for your money than the FVS318G, even when the cost of an additional switch is factored in.