What's new

Home router with PPTP VPN support needed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wobble

New Around Here
Long time forum reader, but first time poster.

Ok, here's what I've been through:

Had a DIR-655 for a little over a year. Been working ok, but sometimes have some interference which drops wireless connections. Logging features are great. (I use Kiwi and am able to log all my kids' activities on the web.) The wireless radio went out, so it was time for a replacement.

I then purchased a WRT400N. Range is good and seems to avoid interference from other routers. However, there are three flaws:
- The internal web server crashes constantly
- PPTP VPN does not work. I can't, for the life of me, connect to my work's VPN server.
- Logging sucks. I am not able to log any useful info to my Kiwi log server.

I then went and purchased another DIR-655, A3 w/1.11 firmware. I was able to do use the VPN via PPTP just fine again. However, the router kept restarting every couple hours. This got annoying. I decided to upgrade to 1.21 firmware. Well, that bricked it.

So, I now have two broken DIR-655's and a WRT400N that I'm unhappy with. I'm very frustrated.

Needs:
- I only use G (WPA2 - AES)
- Good range.
- I have 18 other wireless networks in range of me, so interference is a constant problem. The reason I have been purchasing N routers is they seem to give less interference problems than my previous G only routers. Perhaps it's because they use multiple antennas, I'm not sure.
- PPTP VPN support. I need to connect to my workplace which uses PPTP.
- Adequate logging. I would like to log my kids' Internet activities to my Kiwi log server.

I plan on purchasing a WNDR3700 today. Hopefully that will solve these issues I'm having.

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated before I end up with yet another routers that won't fit my needs.

Thanks in advance.

I decided to buy a Linksys WRT54G2 v1 and will put DD-WRT on it. Hopefully that will work out for me.

Well, the WRT54G2 works for PPTP VPN. That's about the only good news.

Router gives "ok" signal in G mode and I still suffer from interference issues. I've tried every channel and have settled on one that has the least interference.

Looks like DD-WRT does not log Internet traffic either, so I will have to do without that as well.

I am not entirely happy with this solution, but it seems as though I don't have any other options I am aware of.

If the router has an Auto channel mode, try using that and see if it helps reduce your interference problems.