What's new

Homeplug AV2 with longer distances over 400'

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Did you purchase your solar system through a power company? I looked a few years ago and it was like $16000 with a $3000 tax write off buying it yourself. If you were business then it was complete write off.

I also was wondered how good of sinewave you would end up with. Is it hard on your electronics? With a lot of generators and invertors you end with a kind of square wave not necessarily good.

My other understanding is the power company pays you at wholesale rates and you have to pay at retail. Maybe this has all changed now.

Nice update @tyab. A few comments on some ancillary items:

The HP printers (and most printers in general) are anywhere from mediocre to an abomination when it comes to maintaining connectivity via onboard wifi. It's my standard operating procedure to either hard-wire directly, or otherwise hard-wire to a much more solid wifi client bridge, which makes the printer think it's hard-wired, while handling the actual wireless link itself. I use stuff like Mikrotik hAP's and similar. Super effective swiss-army-knives that I bring with me pretty much everywhere, to fix "shirtty printer syndrome" on-the-fly, as needed.

Re- powerline standards that are still "alive", AFAIK the only one under continued development is G.hn ("Wave 2" class devices coming out from Comtrend, Zyxel and maybe a few others). There are a few reviews out comparing the latest of those against the last-gen AV2 stuff, and although the G.hn tech is supposed to be better at dealing with interference and/or distance, it appears that ping/jitter is not as consistent, so at best you might be robbing Peter to save Paul, as they say. One nice item they have managed to accomplish is built-in PoE (example: Comtrend's PG-9172PoE and 9182PoE); very nice for many use-cases. Overall, though, none of the above makes the standard much, if any, more reliable overall, so probably not worth a whole-sale change, especially since you're barely utilizing the adapters as it is.

Well done on the wifi link; Ubiquiti gear is very nice, especially AirMax and AirOS.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!